Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know that to post outside of the Meta forum you must log in
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: First Midnight Adventure  (Read 5487 times)
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« on: March 14, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »

Hey all,
First off, AtS is a great site.  I sure hope this community can maintain enough momentum to keep the Midnight setting alive.   I'll be using some material from AtS for my first Midnight adventure in a few weeks.  I plan to combine "Shades of Grey" with "Knowledge is Power" for an extended one-shot.

Shades of Grey is originally set near Baden's Bluff, but I am going to displace it to Northern Erenland.  I will make some changes regarding Tuwin's role and the type of information that the insurgent heroes will be after.   If they succeed, then they will be pursued by the Shadows forces into the mountains, which will segue into the icy chase and confrontation of the "Knowledge is Power" adventure.

If any of you have conducted either one of those adventures, I welcome your advise.

If this session goes well, then I hope to conduct a full-length Midnight campaign using the Pathfinder core rules in place of the 3.5 PHB.

Gary B.

A setting without sunshine is like....  Midnight.
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »

Regarding Shades of Grey,  I will place this scenario in the Fortress Wall vicinity, on the border of the Lower Ishensa district and the Kaladrun wildlands.  The old fortress ruins there have been used as scrap material to build the "checkpoint" presented in the adventure, which I will call the "Bitter Ridge Encampment".

The pre-gen character, Tuwin will not be an actual legate, instead she will be an insurgent channeler posing as a legate for deep infiltration.   While the twist of deceit in the module is cool, I'm having a hard time accepting that a legate could be granted spells by Izrador while betraying the Shadow's greater cause.  Grial's war in Erethor is clearly a higher concern than Cerano's alleged incompetence in Baden's Bluff.     

In the module, Lurz works for Grial the Feykiller. For my purposes, Lurz will work for Magak instead.  Magak commands an army on the western front of the Kaladrun Range.   Anyway, Lurz has been suspicious of Tuwin (perhaps due to the way his astirax reacted to her several weeks ago, or the way she interacted with her own "astirax" at the time) and so he tracked her to the rendezvous point with the heroes.  This will set up the opening scene with no major changes.

The plans that Tuwin was going to deliver to the rebellion involve the upcoming offensive against the dwarves.  More specifically, it is Magak's orders to seal off the escape routes north of Calador when Jahzir leads his overwhelming assault from the south.  The PC's are not likely to uncover this due to illiteracy and magical encryption.

The rest of the module should play out as written.     

Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

Hey GWB,

welcome to the boards!  Glad you're enjoying everything here.

Unfortunately, I haven't run either of these modules, but please keep posting how they play out.  I'd love to read the notes from the adventures!

Good luck with the games,
Joe

Dunkin stats
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »

Thank you for the welcome!   I hope to post a report about this game session when I get back.   We plan to play it the weekend of April 4th-5th. 

Once I have read through Knowledge is Power I will post any mods that I plan to make.  I may have a couple ideas about extending that adventure.   I need to fill-up about 12-16 hours of game time.   Shades of Grey and this scenario are both designed to be relatively short.

Pheros

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

Yeah, I think they might have been for convention play, so have to fit into a 4-hr block, or so...
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »

Regarding Knowledge is Power, I don't need to make many changes.   It is supposed to occur in the Icewall Range, I'll move the scenario to the nearby Kaladruns instead.   I may be a bit less cryptic with the spirit's communication with the party.   I really like the descriptive style this adventure.  Well done!

Instead of ending with the spirit's release, I'm thinking of extending the adventure by requiring the party to take the lore pool to a nearby nexus.  However, there are complications - of course...  The nexus is located in ruined town or abandoned fortress which is now occupied by The Order of the Shadow.  The commanding legate is in the process of activating a black mirror at the site.  I'm just brainstorming this part.  Any ideas how I should link the spirit's release with the nexus or the possible destruction of the black mirror?   
 Smiley

gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »

The weekend of April 4th-5th, I had the joy of conducting a 17-hour game session with two players from my original D&D group from 29 years ago. 

The player characters were:
Daesul Mor’nar, Erenlander, Rogue 8th level.  As sneaky as they get, almost invisible... with a wide array of skills.  In combat, he is a master of the short bow.   

Bjorn Svenwaddleston  (Sven), Giant-blooded Dorn, Barbarian 8th level.   He carried the Great Sword of Torbault from the campaign book.  Tremendously strong, Sven is a tank of the highest order.

Interestingly, both characters are illiterate (as are most humans in this setting), which had some impact on their understanding of the events around them.

As mentioned previously, I crafted an adventure path using two adventures from AtS and then merged them into a final scenario of my own.

Spoiler Warning: The following account contains details from Shades of Grey and Knowledge is Power.
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

Part I: Shades of Grey 
Location: Northern Erenland, on the border of the Lower Ishensa District near the old Fortress Wall in the western foothills of the Kaladruns.

The party was given the following instructions from an insurgent quartermaster named Brudellis:

Make your way to Blueleaf glade in Ravensroot Woods at dusk on the morrow.  There you will meet one of our deepest spies posing as a legate.   She is a dark-haired Sarcosan woman and she will give to you vital written information.  After receiving the parchment, follow her instructions.   She usually has guidance, based on nature of the information she has acquired. 

They arrived to the sound of a skirmish and found a hooded figure surrounded by a group of orcs.   Reasoning that whatever the orcs were up to was not good, they intervened.   Daesul pegged one of the orcs with two arrows, while Sven charged in with a buckler bash leveling the first orc he reached.   Sven commenced to cleaning house while Daesul finished off a couple of them on the perimeter.   Sven took advantage of a free counter-attack action, punching one orc in the face and knocking him out cold!   The combat only lasted about 4 rounds, but in the process Tuwin (the spy – former legate turned rebel channeler) took heavy damage.

Tuwin informed them that a fellow legate, Lurz, had tracked her to the rendezvous and took the information she was to deliver to them – before unleashing his orcs on her.   If she was to keep her cover and the PCs to be successful, they must catch him and recover those scrolls.  She led them to the Bitter Ridge encampment, built from the ruins of a Fortress Wall keep.  This is where Lurz would replenish and gather some more troops before taking his prize to either Maguk or a high-ranking temple legate.

They approached the compound very carefully and decided to go about 200 yards upstream to cross the creek.  Good thing too, because Tuwin fell-in!  So she was suffering from the night chill as well as her earlier wounds.  They also evaded two orc patrols.  Sven and Tuwin stayed back while Daesul approached silently from the east.   The first structure he came to was the camp commander’s quarters.   Finding the back door unlocked, he slipped-in and was able to get to the commander’s bed where he found the commander sleeping with a slave girl.   He efficiently assassinated the commander in bed and was able to keep the terrified slave girl quiet enough without raising the alarm.    She too was an Erenlander, which helped him convince her to calm down and be still.   Daesul quickly retrieved his friends and they raided the kitchen while Tuwin warmed up to the fire.

When they had warmed up and replenished, the bound and gagged the slave, not trusting anyone.  Daesul went out and scouted the next nearest building, a cottage style house, while Sven and Tuwin waited in the garden.  Climbing onto the roof, Daesul could see much of the compound.  However, a slight misstep caused just enough noise to agitate the warhorse tethered at the front of the house (the warhorse was already a bit nervous at that point).   The astirax reared-up, whinnied, and pulled free, while Daesul scrambled to the backside of the roof and readied his bow.   The commotion caused the horses at the nearby stable to get frantic as well, waking the stable hands.   Meanwhile a pair of orc guards with javelins approached the house. 

Daesul popped-up on the roofline and fired a doubleshot, dropping one of the orc guards.  The other guard launched his javelin and only missed Daesul by inches as he ducked behind the peak of the roof!  The astirax warhorse busted down the front door to rouse his master, the legate, Lurz.  Meanwhile, hearing the commotion, Sven charged around the front of the house and crashed through the wooden shutters into the common room! 

Daesul continued to pick-off orcs with some great long range shots (-8 to hit on a couple shots).   Inside the house, Sven tore through the ill-prepared legate in only a couple rounds and then tore into the warhorse too (insert "beating a dead horse" joke here).   One orc made it to the house and Sven dispatched him in a single attack.  By the time Tuwin broke through the back window, it was over.

With the sounds of Razor Spine war cries spreading across the camp, Tuwin quickly identified the scrolls that were taken from her in Ravensroot Woods.    She conveyed her instructions as Daesul and Sven procured a couple of horses. 

This information must be delivered to the dwarves so they can prepare for the next phase of the war.  The clan dwarves have taken refuge deep under the mountains, they will be too remote to reach.  But the Kurgan dwarves have a new fortress in the Hammerfall range where they stand against Maguk and the Razor Spine. 

Before I bid you farewell, please understand that I must betray you. If I am to keep my cover, I have to report to my Temple Legate.  Quick!  Strike me down!  INJURE ME and run!

The characters obliged and fled into the cold dark wilderness into the foothills.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:58:45 AM by gwb83 » Logged
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »

Part II: Knowledge is Power

Two days later, they had ditched the horses in an effort to mislead the trackers and now they were getting into the high elevations of the western Kaladruns.   Goblin archer pot-shots were landing around the frozen and fatigued heroes and boros riders were closing-in when the found themselves at the edge of a glacier, a huge wall of ice pitted with crevasses and ice caves.   Trapped and desperate, they fled into the cover of the glacier.  The riders pursued them when a sudden tremor rocked the glacier causing the tunnel to collapse!     They dug themselves out of the snow and ice to find that they were fortuitously separated from their hunters, but now they were trapped in a sealed chamber.  Then something highly unusual occurred.   A bluish glow appeared within the icy walls in front of them.   Ice began to melt and a tunnel started to form.  Something was giving them a way out, but was leading them down into the heart of the glacier.

The tight passage opened into a chamber criss-crossed with tunnels.  After a few moments, the glow began to change, morphing into symbols from the elder tongues.  It was attempting to communicate.   After some deliberation, Sven established physical contact with the ice spirit; an intensely cold experience.   Between the two characters, they deciphered that the spirit needed their help and they began to explore the icy gray murkiness of the surrounding tunnels.   They had to fight off a medium-sized group of Fell orcs before they would find the fallen kurasatch udareen (orc priestess) encased in ice.   They chipped away enough to reach her backpack and retrieve an artifact.   It was a baked clay cylinder with a metal band around the middle, frozen shut.   Another Fell encounter followed as they made their way back to the first chamber, but this time they retreated.  Arriving at the chamber, they hastily presented the artifact to the spirit.   They received telepathic instructions to take it to a nexus to be unlocked.   Amongst the spirit’s cryptic words, they reasoned that this artifact could release the spirit from this icy prison.  Daesul using one of his knowledge skill remembered that Blindfork Spire is nexus of considerable power.   

The spirit then created another tunnel for them escape.   Tremors rumbled through the ice as they came closer to daylight.   They emerged onto the western edge of the glacier, on top of an icy tor, where they found a nearby semi-circular arrangement of monolithic stones (similar to Stonehenge).   From that vantage point, the characters witnessed the destruction of the goblin and orc units that had pursued them for days!

When Daesul began to scout-out the stones, a legate stepped out from behind one them to confront the heroes.   This witch-taker legate had been following them for some time, working with the orcs from Bitter Ridge.   Three dorn henchmen also revealed themselves as the legate worked his protective magic.   Daesul began to fire arrows as Sven raced forward to join him.   Sven plowed through the henchmen, demanding attention while Daesul came around to flank the legate.  They converged on the witch-taker with a storm of violence including a backstab attack by Daesul to bring this encounter to a quick decisive end.  Impressive teamwork…
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:09:10 PM by gwb83 » Logged
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »

Part III: Blindfork Spire

They spent the next day hiking over rough Kaladrun terrain and enduring more freezing temperatures at high elevation, before reaching the Blindfork gorge.  Looking down into the stark, rugged river gorge, they could see that River Blindfork split and flowed around a solid rock dome, literally forming an island in the stream.  The granite dome of the island was covered by a terraced fortress obviously constructed from the abundant natural supply of dense stone.  But the most dominant feature was an enormous dark spike protruding toward the sky like a displaced stalagmite.   Even from this great distance, they could see telltale signs of a recent siege.   A few of the catapults were blackened by fire and there were obvious signs of damage to the walls.   They deduced that the Kurgen stronghold must have fallen to the Razor Spine army.    So they decided to move away and find a place to rest, before attempting to approach the fortress.

As they awaited nightfall, Daesul was on watch while Sven rested.   They were protected from the cold gusts, but the wind howled through the boulders around them.   Unbeknownst to Daesul, something dangerous was approaching.   A massive dire bear leapt with a roar onto the surprised Erenlander, ripping him with dagger-like claws!  Daesul was heavily wounded by the initial attack!   The mutated bear continued to rake and bite as Daesul scrambled for his life!  Sven arrived and drove his great sword deep into the bear’s torso.   It roared in agony and then swatted the dorn with a huge paw!   Then the bear was on Sven with a mauling attack that would have ended most men.   But the barbarian regained his feet and tore into the beast with his sword, causing it to back off!  Wow!  Sven decided to kill the beast instead of let it go free, so he pressed his attack.   Poetically, Daesul fired a double-shot that finally stopped the monster!   A bloodied but relieved Daesul slumped against a boulder slid down to the ground.  This was a very tense affair that left the heroes in bad shape, especially Daesul, who suffered two critical hits. 

They expended their potions and charms to partially recover in a reasonable amount of time, but they knew they had to deliver Tuwin’s scrolls to dwarves soon.   And with the fortress in enemy hands, they weren’t sure how they would get the information to the right person.  It was during this time that Sven finally opened the artifact case recovered from the glacier.  Inside there was a stone carving, onyx perhaps – a small idol – in the form of a closed fist with clawed nails.

Several hours later, they finally descended into the valley.  Daesul scouted the way until they reached the churning waters near the western end of the island where the river converges.  Again their attention was drawn to the spire that dominated the courtyard.  They seemed to get a sense of raw power.  Suddenly, there was a bright flash and a thunderous boom!  Blue and green tendrils of energy streaked upward from the spire in a spectacular inverted lightning strike.   They blinked in disbelief and refocused to see that the cloud cover, several hundred feet above the island was swirling unnaturally.   As the thunder faded they heard a clamor of whooping and hollering from across the river.   Daesul spotted a small group of dwarves cheering from a boulder strewn field ahead of them.   So naturally….  He started cheering as well!   The dwarves immediately fell silent and starting looking back across the river in stunned bewilderment!   Moments later, the dwarves leisurely took cover as a volley of arrows and ballista bolts clattered among the rocks.   The dwarves appeared to be playing a routine game of cat and mouse with fortress guards.  Daesul did not see them again, but as he and Sven observed, a platoon of Razor Spine marched around the outside to the back wall of the castle, formed a skirmish line, and started to comb through the rocks in search of the dwarves.  A second group of orcs and ogres deployed a large raft into the shallows to the south side of the castle.   The ogres controlled the raft with long gondolier staves and started steering their way downstream toward the heroes.

The Kurgan dwarves got to them first.  The greeting featured a few awkward moments until Sven found that one of the dwarves could understand “norther”.   After quick introductions, the dwarves led them away from the water and the orc patrols.   The Dorn did the talking and convinced them that they had important information to share.   The Kurgan warriors took them to see Master Gahldor of the Blindfork Zuhr, a Kurgan Shaman.  After viewing the scrolls from Tuwin, Gahldor was convinced of their good intentions.  He aided them with ritual healing and provided some insider knowledge of Blindfork Spire and gave them a couple charms.   Lastly, Gahldor taught them a method by which they could unlock the spirit key using the nexus and he instructed his men to help plan their way into the stronghold.

After much deliberation, they decided that the barbarian – since he was a strong swimmer and resistant to the chilling water – could attempt to enter through the well into the lower terrace chambers.  It was a daunting task, swimming about 400 feet submerged in black, icy waters!  Sven was too big to use the secret tunnels, so the dwarves met him on the island.   Sven first had to cross the treacherous current of the Blindfork, before meeting the dwarves. They led him to a concealed cave on the north side of the granite dome, where he could crawl to the water table.  The Dorn wore only light clothing; no shoes, no armor.   He brought only a leather strap to hold the spirit key in its ceramic case, a single dagger, and a small charm for a temporary light source.   He took one last precious gulp of air before embarking on a tense swim.

Meanwhile, Daesul approached the fortress walls from the southwestern side.   He decided to climb up a shadowy corner along the seam of a tower.   The wall was nearly 100 feet high in this section, but due to the recent siege there were plenty of pock-mark footholds.  Near the top, he timed the guards, slipped over the parapets and made his way to the stone court yard.

Bjorn Svenwaddleston erupted to the surface gasping and sputtering.   The dim light from the charm only provided about 20 feet of visibility.   He pulled himself from the well, shivering and proceeded carefully down the slick stairs.  The well was overflowing into a fairly large irregular shaped chamber.  There were an assortment of tools, chains, anvils and iron cauldrons giving the dark damp room an extra measure of eeriness.   As the light from the charm began to fade, he found a good torch ensconced on the wall and some flint to light it.   He was trying to get it lit when a wet slithering noise came from the dark corner behind him.  Sven hastened his effort and got the torch lit just moments before a tentacle lashed out and wrapped around his right leg!  Instantly, he could feel numbness setting in!   He stabbed and ripped at the green oozing appendage with his dagger as another tentacle latched on to his hip!   He was being reeled into the darkness.  He held his grip on the torch in his off-hand while working frantically with the dagger.  Moments later he could see the huge maw of a mutated plant monster (a type of tendriculos) awaiting him, but he managed to sever both tentacles and stumble backward.  Then the giant-blooded barbarian grabbed miscellaneous tools, bricks, even an anvil and began to launch them at the mossy abomination!   Spinach splattered the walls before the plant-strosity fell motionless.

Daesul managed to scope out the interior of a huge battle-damaged temple, before making his was to the doorway of the lower terrace.   He eluded detection, but there was one particularly close call as he bumped an iron shutter while exiting through a window frame.

Sven used some miscellaneous tools to pry an opening the locked double doors.  It wasn’t difficult or even very noisy, since the wood was waterlogged and rotting from the overflowing well.   He could hear activity on the level above him and could see a wide ramp going up.   Carefully, the wet, slime-covered warrior eased by and followed the drainage into a huge dimly lit chamber.   The room was dominated by a single massive pillar over 40 feet wide.   It seemed to consist of smoky grey quartz and gave off an iridescent glow, matching the dwarves’ description of the base of the spire. 

Daesul approached from the opposite direction and was so stealthy that he managed to tap Sven on the shoulder, before the Dorn knew he was there!   In that split second, Sven almost lashed out, but he held back!  Daesul had brought some of Sven’s basic gear which was a huge help.   

They stood at the altar stairs for a bit, looking at the ornate tunnel leading into the heart of the spire.  Daesul gripped the spirit key artifact and muttered to himself as he recalled Master Gahldor’s instructions.  Wide-eyed, the two of them entered the crystalline tunnel.  They could see small tendrils of “lightning” meandering through the quartz-like walls.  It was a tight squeeze for the hulking Dorn.  When they reached the small central chamber, they found a pedestal of stone.  Placing the artifact there, Daesul nervously performed the ritual.  Then a deep vibration began within the spire, creating a hum of unnatural energy.  They quickly began to make their way out of the tight passage, but with a quick glance back at the artifact, Daesul saw the clawed fist open up to reveal a glowing red rune on the palm of the carved hand.   The voice of the ice spirit spoke to Sven, urging them to get out of the castle and out of the valley.   Justice was coming.

They ran with reckless abandon!  Sven followed Daesul as he retraced his path to the courtyard.   As they crossed in the open, shocked orc guards began to roar in alarm and rage!  On the run, Daesul nailed one of the guards who fell forward from the catwalk!  They made it to a tower staircase and could hear guards scrambling downward.   But the heroes reached upper wall first.   Sven hastily secured the rope while Daesul sunk arrows into several more charging guards.  Narrowly ducking a couple of javelin shots, they went over the wall and headed down the rocky slope to the heavy raft still sitting on the bank.   

When they landed the raft on the opposite bank, a deep ominous rumble began to build.  An earthquake?  An avalanche?   They saw nothing of the sort, but could feel the tremors in their feet.   Frantically, they began to climb the walls of the gorge.   When they reached a height of about 500 feet, they could see back into the fortress, where some Kurgan slaves were gathering on the upper terrace, on the downstream side of the spire.  What was that all about?

Then, in their peripheral vision they saw it.   The source of this escalating tremor was a massive wall of ice and water, moving at a speed greater than any horse could run.  The glacier itself was coming!   It stormed down the river basin crushing everything in its path!  Daesul and Sven clung to the cliff as a stinging wave of icy mist, muddy water, and gravel showered them.  The glacier smashed into the island below plowing down the fortress walls and towers.   The buildings on the lower and mezzanine terraces fell to the incredible force.   The rumbling white, grey, and brown glacial flood leveled everything except the spire itself protruding from the highest ground.  Shielded behind the nexus column, in a small triangular-shaped area, many of the Kurgan slaves survived; most of the Shadow’s minions did not. 
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »

gwb83,

That was very nice to read and sounds like a real cool session(s). Smiley
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 06:50:09 AM »

Thanks Arnon!  That was the most fun I've had playing D&D in a long long time, which was mostly due to the setting.  Midnight is an intriguing departure from the norm.   This was just a one-shot, but I hope to conduct a full-length Midnight campaign someday. 
Pheros

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

I second that.  Great game, and great record keeping!  I liked the story and events alot.

Joe
gwb83
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »

Thank you Joe!  Glad you enjoyed the recap.    I really didn't keep detailed records, but I did start writing this summary the day after we finished.  So I just re-read the adventure and recalled the details while it was fresh in my head.

Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: First Midnight Adventure
Jump to: