Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2020, 10:53:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Whenever you send a personal message it is not saved by default, either change that in your profile or select individual messages to save.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: [Offsite Gaming] Champions of the Hearth recruiting  (Read 4280 times)
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« on: January 16, 2009, 06:50:20 PM »

I'm planning to start a PbP game, set in MIDNIGHT but using the Mutants and Masterminds 2e rules, on the Groovy Gamers website.

Link to Champions of the Hearth Recruitment. The game is a tale of monster hunting and reclaiming Dornish honour in the icy north with one of the last unbowed chieftains, based on the saga of Beowulf.

Knowledge of both MN and M&M is desirable, but if I can only have one, I'd rather have people who know the setting over the rules, so I thought I'd extend the offer here, as well. Smiley
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »

Ohh! Count me in. I've always wanted to learn M&M.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:31:53 AM »

I've only ready M&M and I've looked over the rules you posted on the forum some-time ago.

I'm interested.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:08:50 AM »

Oh, hell yeah. Totally in. I'm only passingly familiar with M&M stuff - you know, tinkered with characters, played half a game, but I get the basic concept and I've wanted to see something cool done with it for a whille. Midnight qualifies. Clicking over there, I guess.

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Renvil
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »

How well does M&M work for fantasy?  I've heard there are power levels, is it possible to move from one power level to another during a campaign, to represent the characters becoming movers and shakers in the world?  Or is there a point where M&M does not work well for fantasy.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »

How well does M&M work for fantasy?  I've heard there are power levels, is it possible to move from one power level to another during a campaign, to represent the characters becoming movers and shakers in the world?  Or is there a point where M&M does not work well for fantasy.

I think most of us trying it are wondering the same thing. We're basically experimenting. As soon as the game gets underway for a while we'll  have an answer, and probably some gameplay stories to give everyone a better idea of how it works.

As far as character gen goes, it seems to work nicely, though it is a lot more complicated of a process.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »

I
I think most of us trying it are wondering the same thing. We're basically experimenting. As soon as the game gets underway for a while we'll  have an answer, and probably some gameplay stories to give everyone a better idea of how it works.

As far as character gen goes, it seems to work nicely, though it is a lot more complicated of a process.
What he said, although I would add the following.
I'm personally having trouble with the conversion process, when it comes to character generation. I'm trying to write up a Channeler, and my 3.5 trained brain very much wants to be able to do all the things said character would normally be able to do. Unfortunately, under M&M, it becomes very difficult to have a very widespread range of powers, such as a spellcaster would normally throw around.  Once you accept that it's not going to be Midnight normal, it becomes much easier to wrap your head around.

For reference, my PL 5 (level 6/7 or so) Hermetic Channeler is probably only going to be able to throw around 5-ish spells. They're all pretty powerful spells, with slightly variable effects, but the versatility such a character would usually have isn't there nearly as much. That being said, it's not a system I've worked in before, so for all I know, this is going to work out just fine, but that's my impression so far.
Renvil
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »

Is that why you chose M&M Doomed Hero, to take the system for a run as it were?  I hope your experiment goes well.  My understanding is there is going to be a fantasy supplement for M&M in the near future, maybe that will help a bit as well.  Good luck in your game!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

Is that why you chose M&M Doomed Hero, to take the system for a run as it were? 

Well, Dirigible's running it, so he chose the system. Mostely I'm looking for more PbP experience so I can figure out how to best run one myself at some point.

Trying out a new system is just icing on the cake.
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 03:53:16 PM »

How well does M&M work for fantasy?  I've heard there are power levels, is it possible to move from one power level to another during a campaign, to represent the characters becoming movers and shakers in the world?
Becoming movers and shakers isn't a matter of level, it's a matter of relationships and roleplaying. Yes, you can gain experience and power in M&M, but it's not designed as a level-up system: it works far better for making competant characters who may pick up a few new tricks and abilities than novices who grow into masters. It's a supers system, after all: Superman is still basically the same character he's been for decades (barring rewrites; he couldn't fly when he was first created, and there was a time in the 90's when he had a totally different power set, etc).

Speaking as someone with a lot of experience in both, I think this is backwards. I can put together a M&M character in minutes, but building a D&D character at anything above 1st level is arduous. The breadth and flexibility of M&M may seem daunting, but it's what actually makes it easy: you can do anything, and usually in a pretty straightforward way.

Unfortunately, under M&M, it becomes very difficult to have a very widespread range of powers, such as a spellcaster would normally throw around.
That's just not true. It only cost you 1pp to add a whole new spell to your repertoire. If you tell me where you're willing to trim the points from, you can easily double or triple your spellbook.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

That's just not true. It only cost you 1pp to add a whole new spell to your repertoire. If you tell me where you're willing to trim the points from, you can easily double or triple your spellbook.
While I know that, the point is, as a D&D character, I'd be able to do the new spells and maintain my other whatever-ness. Not complaining (not yet, anyway Laugh), it probably works fine within the game, just making an observation on what I've learned so far.
For those of you who may be wondering, the Magic power can be established with one effect at a certain strength, and then you can throw other effects under that heading at about that strength or less for a far smaller cost than the original power. Makes a certain amount of sense, really.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: [Offsite Gaming] Champions of the Hearth recruiting
Jump to: