Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Some articles do not have author names in them. If you know who the author is, let us know!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: [Pit Fight] Storm in the Sewers  (Read 20287 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« on: November 14, 2008, 08:27:30 PM »

The reek of the city's sewers evoked guttural descriptions not fit for civilized company.  Fortunately, there was no civilized company down here.  In fact, there was no company at all, and that is the way the Warrior intended it.  The fewer eyes, the better for him.

The rains still falling above ground served only to wash the refuse from a city of torment and horror into the nethers of the sewers below.  Whatever fresh, clean scent the rain may once have had was now replaced by the dust and sweat and spit and blood and the citizens above, mixed with the refuse all to commonly lying on the street.  And the water brought to life smells once locked in dried feces all over again. 

Small rivers and streams and falls from above added themselves to the slowly moving pool, making a sound not unpleasant, and even diverting, if not for the smell.  The occasional hand or ear would wash in too from above, adding a small splash to the noise, its previous owner now likely unconcerned with its fate.  Thankfully, the gratings kept out the bigger pieces or the whole bodies that would other wise flow down here and cause trouble if they rose again as Fell.

Finding a dry ledge amid the horror and stench, the Warrior places his burden down carefully.  A frail face and mess of curly hair reveal themselves as a half-starved female halfling, looking dead but with a faint pulse being the only thing keeping her head attached to her body.  The Warrior is little taller, a young frame whose lie is exposed by his aged and weary eyes.  He takes this moment to readjust the hood of his cloak, and tries to shake the feeling of eyes in the shadows upon him.
Logged

1.6180339887...
Dunkin stats
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »

[OoC] please post rolls, bonuses, public actions here in slategrey color.  hidden actions can be be PMed to me.
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »

He works some feeling back into his hands and arms for a moment, eyes sifting through the darkness to pacify his paranoia.
[OoC] Lighting conditions?
Logged

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:30:09 PM »

[OoC] The room is a round domed vestibule, 25 ft high, 50 ft in diameter.  Water flows in from small conduits on all sides.  Main passages are the primary tunnels for water flow, heading from North to South, with a slight downhill grade toward the South propelling the waste water.  There is a central grating directly above the center of the room letting in water and light.  Faint light also comes in from the multitude of side entrances, adding a slight amibient light, but it's only really helpful for those of you with low light or dark vision.  Dark vision people are obviously fine, low light can see 30 ft, normal vision goes for 15 ft.
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

The Warrior grimaces at the foul water, anger starting to rise again at this necessity. He pulls up a bit of thick cloth hanging around his neck and ties it in place over his mouth and nose.
Squinting, he tries to make out the layout of the room, refreshing his memory of the route. Through the murky light down here, the main exit is difficult to see, but his keen eyes manage it after a moment.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:04:14 PM by Sholano » Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:00:40 AM »

The respite over, he picks up his charge once more and begins to slosh his way onward, carefully avoiding a direct view of the street above. No sense in carelessly catching a passing patrol's eye.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:23:59 AM »

As the Warrior hefts the limp body, he sets out down the sewer.  Reaching the other end, he sees a shadow flash by, and the squeak of a rat.  The motion draws his eye to a length of chain that appears to be hanging down from one of the many inlets to the tunnel.  A bolt secures it to the wall, and it extends up and into the inlet, out of sight.  A counterpart across the tunnel does likewise, and third seems to be strung along the ceiling of the high tunnel a few feet further back.

The rain continues to pour in from above, and a soft mass of bloodless flesh floats by down the tunnel at a hurried pace, as though it had somewhere it desperately needed to go.  The soft glow of eyes further down the tunnel show that the rats down here have grown used to feasts such as these.
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »

His eyelid twitches and he gives the corpse a wide berth, keeping an eye on it just in case. A few too many bad experiences started with assuming the dead have stayed that way.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »

As the Warrior moves down the tunnel, his foot brushes against a chain running along the ground.  It jerks, and the ceiling mounted length falls.   There is suddenly pressure against his foot, wrapping the ankle, threatening to pull him and his charge over.  Just as it is about to pull his legs out from under him, the pressure vanishes as the chain collapses to the ground above him with a loud metallic rattle.  A pin, once held by mortar between the bricks in the wall had pulled loose, saving the warrior from ensnarement.

As the echoes of the chain's fall die down, the tunnel resumes its rain-soaked emptiness.
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:59:07 AM »

Wincing at the crashing clatter, he picks up the pace for a minute or two, getting quickly away from the area and making sure he makes no other noises.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

Head still looking back to see who noticed the sound, the Warrior takes but two steps before he feels a familiar pull, this time on his other leg.  The weak mortar that saved him from falling last time holds now, and the chain begins to drag his feet out from under him.

He drops the body he carries, and writhes as the tension builds on his foot, twisting just so to release his foot from the noose as he hits the floor.  Using the momentum on his leg, he rolls backwards, popping into a crouched, fighting position, ready for an attack that doesn't come.

His charge moans slightly at the impact of the fall, but shows no indication of waking.

[OoC]Reflex save successful.  The Warrior is crouched in a fighting position, his charge is on the ground, and he has initiative.  What now?
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:13:58 PM »

His eyes flicking back and forth, the Warrior stays on his toes, ready to move at a moment's notice. Twice in a row seems quite a coincidence, and it's been a while since he's trusted those. His hands flex twice, ready for something.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »

The air around the Warrior momentarily takes on the smell dust and earth, before slamming back into the horrid stench of the sewer.  Glancing to his left, the Warrior notices that though the water still falls from the grating in the center of the domed vestibule, it suddenly stops making sound as it strikes the pool below.

Left only a moment to consider this, his eyes flick to the chains attached to the walls next to him, soon enough to see them take life and begin to move, lashing out at him, but not quickly enough to react.

The chains strike, aiming for wrists, elbows, knees and ankles.  The Warrior twists, trying to break free of the now-living metal; trying to understand how these could even be alive at all.

[OoC]Listen check succeeds, reflex failed thus flat-footed.  If you could both give me your grapple bonuses with any modifiers included (as I said, I'm not well versed in all the mods and feats you've added).  Sholano, regular and flat-footed please.  DH with applicable mods for this situation.  I'll roll for stuff.  PM or in thread, I don't have a preference.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:30:22 AM »

Four chains lash out at the Warrior, grasping at appendages.  He bats away one with his hands as the others grasp on.  As they begin to close around him, he twists, pulling hard against one of the pitons, used to secure the chains to the wall.  The piton begins to give, creaking until it finally breaks, ripping two chains free of their securement, while the third falls back, rearing to strike again.

[OoC]AoO knocks one chain away, three connect to Warrior.  Warrior wins all three grapple checks, with two 20s.  Warrior is no longer flat-footed, and has initiative.
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »

The Warrior hops back, away from the writhing chains and headed for the center of the room. As he moves, his hands slip beneath his cloak and come out with two knives, balanced for throwing. His eyes scan the watery floor for traces of something moving as one knife flashes through the air towards the strangely silent waterfall.
OoC: Moving to about ten feet from the center, drawing two throwing knives and throwing one at the center.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:21:51 PM by Sholano » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 03:30:25 AM »

The blade whistles as it leaves the Warrior's hand, tumbling end over end in a precise dance meant to deal death.  Not more than 2 span away from him the knife goes silent in it's tumble, passing through the water dropping into the center of the room, continuing it's path to the far end, ending in a clatter of metal on stone.  The Warrior steps carefully toward the center when suddenly world goes quiet.  The silence assaults him, harboring threats unknown and black promises unspoken.

But the eyes are the worst.  The eyes he feels on him, though he knows not from where.  The eyes that are judging him, looking deep into his soul and being, weighing his worth.  The Other is here.

[OoC]Attack misses, Warrior currently encompassed by silence, the Other has init.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 04:16:02 PM »

[OoC]...sorry sorry...Thanksgiving leapt upon me with a turkey-ful vengence...we're waiting on me...update soon
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »

The Warrior turns slowly in a circle, looking for evidence of his attacker.  As he slowly spins, his keen eyes catch a hole in a puddle on the ground where water ought to be.  A whole the size and shape of a foot.

As his hands tighten on the knives, readying an attack, the onslaught begins.

From nowhere, a cold rough metal lashes the Warrior's skin, drawing blood.  The cold begins to wrap around his wrist, but the Warrior pulls free.  A second blow connects with his leg, this time catching him before he can pull free.  It tries to press him to the ground, but he rolls away from the unseen opponent's thrust.

Suddenly another flurry comes from all around the Warrior.  From all sides cold steel wraps around his wrists and ankles, freezing his movement and sending his heart racing.  Memories of his time on the rack and in the dungeons flood back to him, sending him quivering with rage and hate and fear and horror.  Tight muscles tense under scarred skin, yearning to be freed.


[OoC]Spot check succeeds.  Attack 1 hits; 17 points subdual, 1 point STR damage; Grapple fails.  Attack 2 hits, 12 subdual, 1 STR; Grapple initiated.  Pin attempt fails.  4 additional Pin attempts succeed.  Warrior is pinned, his action
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 04:23:18 PM »

OoC: Are we waiting on me, here, or is it just taking a little while to get around to? I thought I sent you a message, Pheros, let me know if I messed that up.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »

{OoC]bah, no sorry...we're waiting on me...I've been busy, and have no love of 3.5 grapple rules...heh heh...update soon.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »

The Warrior braces himself against the unseen forces, trying to avoid immobility.  For the briefest of moments the surroundings again smell of dust and earth, and the walls in the distance seem to shimmer and warp slightly before snapping back into their previous stability as the reek of the sewer slams home again.

Struggling against his oppressor, the Warrior tries to work out from the pin, but is unable to loosen the cold, inhuman grip on his joints.

{OoC]Pin escape failed...The Other has init...sorry about the delay...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:18:00 PM by Pheros » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 03:27:23 AM »

From his pinned position, the Warrior feels the graspers holding him keep their grip while trying reorient themselves.  Panic strikes him and he's able to prevent the unseen force from moving without releasing him, but still remains pinned.

[OoC]Warrior has init, still pinned
Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates
****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Gender: Male
Posts: 589



« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »

The Warrior takes in a deep breath and his wiry body tenses, burying the rising fear in the fury of his effort to escape.

{OoC} Break da pin, please?
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »

[OoC]bah, sorry for the delay...

The Warrior surges as the unseen opponent eases the pin, and manages to shake free both of his arm from the bind.  The cold feeling still grasps his legs and torso, but at least his hands are free.

{OoC]Pin expires, Warrior breaks two of the 5 holds on him.  Still engaged in grapple with three unseen graspers.  Other's turn.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »

The Warrior's arms feel the cold hold return and those wrapping his legs pull them taut, pinning him again.  The force on his torso attempts to spin him, promising helplessness, but the Warrior deflects this force again.

Escape fills his head, but the forces on his body beg otherwise.

[OoC]Warrior is still pinned (pin expires at beginning of the Other's next turn), but no worse for wear than that.  Attempt to break the pin again?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: [Pit Fight] Storm in the Sewers
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
AtS Dark Mercury design by Nifelhein, based on the Mercury theme by Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 28 queries.
TinyPortal © 2005-2011