Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 11:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you liked something, say so, if you think it can be bettered, say so, commenting on threads and giving ideas for the site are always welcome.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Obsidian's Continuing Campaign  (Read 4797 times)
Obsidian
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« on: August 27, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »

Well it's been a while, but in the words of a Protoss Dragoon, "I have returned." I see that the boards aren't as active any more, so I'm not sure if anyone's even going to read this, but what the heck.

What started with the Crown of Shadows (see http://www.ats.unifans.org/index.php?topic=806.0) has continued to evolve. I feel some compulsion to set down what has happened, if for no other reason than my own posterity.

some spoilers, so if you're in my game in Indianapolis, DO NOT READ.

(click to show/hide)

And that's how Bandilrin got blown up.

More in another, hopefuly shorter, post.
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

That, sir, is pretty cool.

The only question I have is how was the Mithril Flail's magic hidden from the dozens of Astirax in and around Bandilrin? Seems to me like that might have been noticed.

Other than that, awesome.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »

Obsidian,

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Now I think I'll borrow some of your ideas...

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
Obsidian
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »

Doomed Hero:

I can't remember where I read it, but I've been operating under the assumption that, since Bandilrin is Ardherin's summer home, so to speak, it makes sense that the shadow forces (at least the crack elite units like the NPCs I created) would be well-equipped with magic items. The flail was found inside the complex, it wasn't brought with the PCs. I reasoned that the dozens of astiraxes in the area  had a "background hum" to contend with of the dozens of magic items in use by the shadow forces. But these are constant echoes and though they may move around a bit, they wouldn't be anything to be concerned about. The casting of 3rd and 4th level spells however, like the PCs did against the gibbering mouther, would be like lighting off firecrackers in a room full of radios on at low volume. They stand out a bit.

Smeagol:

Considering how shamelessly I have ripped ideas from others on this board, I wholeheartedly encourage you to take whatever you like. Smiley
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »

You know, that's a really good point. That place is probably crawling with dark channelers.

Also, if the PC's finished Crown of Shadows they aught to have Cloaks of the Lady to help mask thier "scent". (I remembered that after I'd posted the first question)
Obsidian
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 06:37:42 AM »

Three of the PCs had Cloaks of the Lady, yes, and that did help, right up until the Fireball/Ice Storm incident. The other three PCs came in to replace those that left or died at the end of the Crown of Shadows story. They keep asking for one though.

Brings up an interesting question. Under what other circumstances would a PC be able to earn a Cloak of the Lady?
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 02:28:36 AM »

That's a cool recounting of what was surely a very cool gaming experience... Well Done! Smiley

As Smeagol said, I might be borrowing from this later on.

Regarding Cloak of the Lady, i'd say if the characters perform a high and important service for the elves (including getting the queen's attention), then they might have a chance of being awarded this. What you have just described is certainly a major blow that is probably deserving of some reward.... that is, unless no one knows (or believes) that the characters actually did it... Wink
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »

Despite the age of this post and the fact that it is completely off topic, I just wanted to say how excited I was to hear of another Midnight DM in the Indy area.

Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Obsidian's Continuing Campaign
Jump to: