Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: New Guy Here barely starting!  (Read 4854 times)
Verdeloth
Disembodied Spirits

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« on: May 27, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »

Hello Midnight Fans! Im Federico and tomorrow night i will have my first experience DMing the Midnight Campaign Setting. I play D&D for over 8 years now and i have been a DM on several campaigns and small adventures. Im going to be doing the small adventure from the Campaign Setting book (2nd edition) so im pretty excited. I have been looking forward to begin this setting a while back, so since i bought the book (Im from Argentina, and believe me, its hard finding books or ordering them) i didn´t do anything but reading it and browsing to several Midnight websites so i could understand completely the background that the setting shows. My players will mostly be newbie guys from my work. I guess this Saturday, or the next one, i will be Dming my real and experienced group.
Well...just posting to say hi all, and wish me luck!

I´ll let you know how does the adventure develops.

Keep Roleplaying!!!

Someday, someone will best me. But it won´t be today and it won´t be you.
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:42 AM »

Welcome to the boards, Verdeloth, and good luck for your game. Let us know how it went Wink

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:29:23 AM »

Welcome to the site.

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »

Welcome aboad the Midnight setting and AtS! I am from Brazil so I know very well how hard it is to get books, but that has not prevented me from getting all but one so far (planning to get Honor in two months).

mrgreen

browsing to several Midnight websites so i could understand completely the background that the setting shows.

I am really interested to have any links all of you have on Midnight I will make a links thread on general and sometime I will put a links page on the site too. Grin

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Verdeloth
Disembodied Spirits

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:52:28 PM »

Well...Before explaining how the first session was i will say this: Regarding the links, i used the most common ones, like the one for Midnight in Spanish and darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com.

The first session. Well...it was actually really boring. I had 5 players. All of them but one were completely newbies in D&D, so it took me a hell lot of time explaining everything. Besides...having only one copy of the Midnight Campaign Setting and one copy of the PHB slowed everything more.
After like...3-4 hs of character creation we finally began the adventure (We started 3 am, so it was 7 am by then.) Obviously we were already tired, specially because all of us just got out from work to play, and not to mention that some of us had to work today also -.-
So we only played for an hour and a half. This is the team:
Fighter Erenlander with Steelblooded path.
Fighter Danisil with Painless path
Fighter Erenlander with Jack-of-all-trades path
Rogue Halfling with jack-of-all-trades path and
Charismatic Channeler Sarcosan with Healer path.

Since the time of character creation could have taken more, i simplify a couple of things. I just wanted to begin playing. What i will do is making a copy of the different races/clases/paths/feats so they can review all of them more relaxed.

My head is still aching. I would appreciate any help into character creation for newbies (i dont like handing out pre-generated characters.) since in a couple of weeks i will have 2 more newbie groups.
Once we began playing everything was running smoothly, but we were already tired. So i did not have any problem on that point. The Characters made it into Koln, but only one of them was able to witness the hard-hitting on the mayor. The Session ended with the Legate Speech, thanking for the help.

Fortunately i was able to create a nice environment on the setting. The party arrived there as escaped prisoners (i took that cue from someone on the forums jeje) smelling terrible, hungry and ragged clothes. The halfling was able to hide his aspect as a human child and the elf had a cloak to hide her elven natures. So aside from the heavy character creation delays, i can say that the roleplaying was succesful.
We will continue next Tuesday, so i promised a great adventure already =)

Please give any opinions and helps for character creation for newbies. With all the races, feats and Heroic paths (only using Midnight Campaign Setting and Player´s Handbook) they do really have a whole bunch of stuff to choose. I need ways to make that faster.

Keep Roleplaying!!!
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »

There's a lot of threads on the forum containing advice for players or GM's new to the setting.

Here's the one I remembered of the top of my head. There are many more. Just do a search.

http://www.ats.unifans.org/index.php?topic=1143.0

I find that the most important thing to do when beginning a Midnight game is to make it clear the nature of the story being told. I tend to restrict player options a bit. I rarely say no to a concept, but I often push the players toward creating characters appropriate to the central idea or plot I had in mind. (It's hard to work Dwarves into a game that is set in Sharuun, for example)

If they are dead set on a certain path, let them do it, but play mean. Make them work to keep their sore-thumb character out of notice. If they screw up, kill them.

It usually only takes one example before the group realized that this setting is not their usual fantasy world.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:40:32 AM »

I dunno doomed, our thumbs are getting a little sore... should I be writing a eulogy?

Loyalty. Vigilance. Precision. A swift death to all who oppose the King. This is my mission. This is my life. Until the Sun rises again, Aiden, I am at your side.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:36:49 AM »

Our game operates primarily in the "safe" zones of the world. Hard not to with a Dwarf in the group.

I think with out him, you folks could blend frighteningly well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:54:41 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »

true... Altus, Aiden, Fenrir, Xein, Sholano and even Khaz would be pretty mobile. Oh well, Hrothgar is still proving useful to Aiden, So I guess i'm okay with him.
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 04:24:44 AM »

true... Altus, Aiden, Fenrir, Xein, Sholano and even Khaz would be pretty mobile. Oh well, Hrothgar is still proving useful to Aiden, So I guess i'm okay with him.

While I agree that Hrothgar and Berodin due to his size would make us stand out,  I have to say that an albino elfling would probably not go unnoticed either.  So maybe not Xein, but everyone else should be fine.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:19 AM »

an albino elfling

Hmmm... that sounds familiar...  Wink
Doomed Hero

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »

Hmmm... that sounds familiar...  Wink

Great minds, and all that. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: New Guy Here barely starting!
Jump to: