Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 11:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Check the links box on the front page, there you will find all Midnight sites we are aware of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Cloak and Dagger: CoS in Baden's Bluff  (Read 21402 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »

Clara

All right.  I'm in a lighted doorway, and I can see them, which means they can probably see me.  No need to panic yet.  They might be out for a drink.

Plan A.  Act like I belong here.  I just finished a drink at the local and I'm going home.  Walk briskly, but don't run, away from them to the nearest alley or cross street.  Once out of sight, run, hide, or otherwise get out of sight, depending on terrain and opportunity.

If they come after me, abort Plan A and switch to Plan B - run like hell.


She is already trying to formulate Plan C as she begins walking away from the orcs.
Logged
Vexus
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 8


« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »

Jehna

Shivering from the cold, Jehna makes her way southward down the street.
Logged
Assad
Disembodied Spirits


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 4


« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:02 AM »

Assad

Assad slips back around the corner, hopefully unseen.  He cups his hands around Gardrun's ear and whispers [trader's]  Quick, hide!
Damn, his best shot is the alley with the uncertain alley rat.  What a surprise, I'll need to keep an ear out for trouble.

Assad will wait to see where Gardrun hides, and then begin walking, nonchalant, down this road. 
I'm a soldier, off duty, looking to relax.  I've been there before.  I can do this again.

He begins to think of the sounds of an unsuspecting orc patrol, and the sounds of trouble, the shout of alarm. 
If I must run, I'll need to pay attention to my route, so I can make my way back here.  Though if there's a ruckus, this may be the last place I should return to!

Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 03:09:03 AM »

Clara & Assad:

Clara heads toward the corner where the previously visible shade has vanished.   Head bowed in a cowed-but-not-hiding-anything manner, she moves herself at a 'not-quite-suspicious' pace around the corner and back to where she can only hope Assad is hiding.

Meanwhile, the orcs continue to close with Clara, and the corner hiding Assad and Gardrun.  Longer legs mean that a tempered march to an orc matches or supersedes a brisk pace of a gnome.


Jehna:

Heading down the street, Jehna passes row upon row of windows shut tight against the cold and damp and dark and deadly.  Already flames of the houses are going out as better, simple people go about their lives of living by day and hiding by night.  The road travels straight on, veering slightly but holding course well.  Finally, she arrives at a strong bend in the road, a corner allowing her a moment of inspection.  An inconspicuous glance over her shoulder as she turns it reveals a figure off in the distance behind her.  Maybe following, maybe on his own business.  Maybe...

Another corner and all thoughts of treachery are driven momentarily from her mind.  She has arrived at the drydocks.  Two boats have been pulled out of the water.  One shows a few holes, recently patched, looking close to seaworthy.  The other show extensive fire damage, holes gutting its side, and a thick layer of barnacles rising up far higher than it should on any ship.  But what disturbs Jehna the most is the lamp, swinging in the sea-breeze, casting just enough light to illuminate the name of the latter ship: 

Ezekiel

Logged

1.6180339887...
Dunkin stats
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »

Clara

Once she is around the corner, Clara quickly assesses the situation and terrain.  Is anyone else there?  Are there any close cross streets or alleys?  How about places to hide?

And how long does she have before the orcs arrive?
Logged
Vexus
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 8


« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »

Jehna

Not a man, but a ship.

Jehna shutters once again, partly from the cold, but mostly from the Tomb's words. Was this the same ship as was mentioned in the book? If so, what was a scuttled ship doing here in Baden's Bluff?  Also, what cargo was it carrying to warrant its self-destruction rather than falling into the hands of pirates?

Her usual resolve tempered by uncertainty, Jehna walks slowly towards the ruined vessel. She watches the lamp swing forlornly above the ship's fire-scarred name.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:44:49 AM by Vexus » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »

Clara:

As Clara turns the corner, a human and what looks to be a dwarf in a cloak duck into a side alley.  A glance over her shoulder shows that the orcs have stopped in front of the Quayhouse.  One barks out [Orcish]"This one..."[Erenlander]"We're here to collect Legate Dumald's share of your earnings."  One orc enters the Quayhouse while the other two remain outside.

Sasha meanwhile sets off in a rage-filled tirade, demanding immediate action to ensure the death of the Legate these orcs are working for.


 Jehna

Moving slowly around the drydocked ship, Jehna comes to the bow.  There, instead of the usual maiden gracing the prow there was a badly damaged dragon maw opened as though ready to spew flame.  A cold knot forms in Jehna's stomach as the handle of her bow, identical in posture and form to the figurehead, presses into her back.
Logged
Vexus
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 8


« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 02:49:17 AM »

Jehna

Did this ship belong to the Order?

Her curiosity now battling against her sense of dread, Jehna searches for a way to board the vessel safely.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 03:37:29 AM »

Jehna

Moving around the far side of the ship now, Jehna sees scaffolding and ladders leading upward to the deck, where workers obviously had been laboring only hours earlier.  A screech freezes her, but it is followed only by a cat darting from behind crates of supplies chasing a small rat.  The rat runs up one of the lines running from the ship to the ground, but the cat freezes at the bottom, hissing at its retreating opponent and unwilling to go further.  An obvious path from ground to deck is laid out for Jehna, or more likely for the convenience of the workers.

A quick look around, and she alights the ladder, taking herself up higher above the ground.  When nearly at the top, the hurried steps of someone quickly moving in boots greets her ears, pausing her.  The clump of the boots, source on the far side of the ship, owner unknown, moves away from the ship, around a corner, and becomes lost in the fog and night.

Quickly she throws herself over the railing onto the ship's deck.  A last look over the edge tickles her senses as she sees a blank in an alley where a shadow may or may not have been before.  Turning, she surveys the deck, a typical clipper with two masts and a main, fore and aft deck.  In the center of the main deck is a gapping hole to the hold of the ship, which near the aft a doorway darkly beckons.
Logged
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 04:21:48 AM »

Clara

"Working on it," Clara whispers so softly only Sasha can hear it as she slips deeper into the shadows and hides.

No business of mine, at least not until it becomes my business ... now, what's this in the cloak?

Clara attempts to determine what the button (or other object) is, removing it from the cloak if necessary.
Logged
Vexus
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 8


« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »

Jehna

Edging carefully around the hole in the main deck, Jehna makes her way towards the aft doorway, intending to explore the ship's interior.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 02:16:52 AM »

Clara

As the orcs wait, the child from the Quayhouse comes to the door with a small cask of what looks to be ale.  One orc spits out: [Erenlander]"Hurry up..." and raises a hand to dispense pain and judgment on the child.  However, before the hand can fall, one of his comrades grabs his arm.

[Orcish]"Not now..."

The first orc lowers his hand slowly with a growl, and grabs the cask from the child as she retreats.  Hefting it, he turns to the others, and the three continue their patrol down the street, toward where Clara, Assad and Gardrun are.

Meanwhile Clara, out of sight of the orcs, spends more time trying to find what it is that is sewn into the cloak.  Twisting herself in the fabric, she's able to see it to be a button, metal and well made, and very out of place with no obvious purpose.  The sewing has been done by hand, though not recently and with a different thread than the rest of the cloak.


Jehna

Jehna enters the door to below-decks, and makes her way to the open hold.  Light from the recently risen moon shines in, illuminating the area.  Jehna pauses as she hears a soft creaking, but the repetition tells her it isn't a person.

Unfortunately, her intuition was only half right.  It wasn't a living person.  Hanging from the cross support of the hold from a noose, the body of a old Dornish man slowly twists, causing the rope to creak lightly.  A pool of blood is forming below his feet, draining slowly from the knife wounds on his chest.  Overcoming her initial hesitation, Jehna approaches and is able to see the the wounds in his chest aren't random, but are in fact in the shape of one of the sigals of the Ulmeyahn Order.  It is neither the sigal borne on the ring once owned by Vor'demis, nor does it match the one on the exposed armband indicating the Dorn's line.  Recalling the teachings of her instructor, Jehna places it as the marking of the third elven line, one thought to have been snuffed out by the Shadow over 60 years ago.

The blood pool is still quite wet on the edges, indicating that the treachery is no more than 15 minutes old.
Logged
Vexus
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 8


« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »

Jehna

Drawing her knife, Jehna approaches the body, her eyes darting around the room for signs of the murderer's presence. Her fingers trace the crimson lines across the hanging body.

Nu'valen, the third daughter of Ulmeyah. This is not a sign commonly seen beyond the walls of the Order's archives. So either this man was an enemy and a thief killed by one of the brethren, or a traitor has infiltrated us.

Slowly, she removes the armband, noting grimly that she was beginning to acquire draconian runes from dead men with regularity. On her guard, she cautiously looks through the dead man's person, searching for clues to his identity before she widens her search to the surrounding area.

Logged
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »

Clara

All right.  This mystery can be unwound a little later.  For now, time to concentrate on matters nearer at hand.

Clara will find a place to hide until the orcs pass ... if they pass.

(Hide +12)
Logged
Gardrn
Disembodied Spirits


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 2


« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 03:47:21 AM »

Dammit, Dammit, have to hide... until it's too late.  I can kill them if I have too, but not quietly.

Gardrun looks for somewhere, anywhere to duck as the orcs draw near.

(Hide + 14)
Logged
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 04:07:23 AM »

[OOC: Er, when we give numbers, were we supposed to actually be rolling dice, or just giving our total skill score?  I've just been giving my skill score, both for the Sense Motive check earlier and the Hide check above; I don't actually have any 20-siders.  If I've been doing it wrong, I can find a random number generator on the web or something.]
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 02:35:59 AM »

Clara, Gardrun, Assad

The three dart into alleys and corners, Gardrun and Assad to the right, Clara to a closer one on the left.  Moments later, the orcs come around the corner.  The one carrying the cask grumbles to the others [Orcish]"...re sure we can't open this up?  Dumald won't know or care.  He's too busy with his games, what with the new kadiric in town."

The other replies with a back hand across the first's head, nearly causing him to lose the cask.

[Orcish]"Shut up and follow orders." is the only verbal reply he gets.

Then continue past, unaware of the three hiding just within vardatch's reach of them, and continue on around the corner, out of sight and hearing.

Clara sticks her head out, peering with her eye up and down the street, seeing no more sign of the patrol, or anything else in the area.

[OoC]Yes, just give me your modifiers, I'll do all rolls.
Logged
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »

Clara

Clara will watch the orcs to see if she can determine where they are going -- or at least, to make sure they are going away.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:26 AM »

Clara

Looking around, Clara sees no sign of the orcs, though she thinks if she moved quickly, she'd be able to follow them from their sound.  Other than her two companions, the streets seem lifeless, and even the Quayhouse is closing for the night.

From behind them in the alley, a small figure appears.  Spinning at the sound of the footsteps, too late had it been a threat, Clara sees the child from the Quayhouse.  She glances at Assad, and gives a slightly longer look to Gardrun, before addressing Clara.

"Quickly, follow me.  And keep your friend out of sight."  she says with a nod to Gardrun.

She then heads back down the alley she came from, with a determined step.
Logged
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2008, 01:23:24 AM »

Clara

With a quick motion to Assad and Gardrun, Clara will follow the child.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

Clara, Assad, Gardrun

The small shape darts through the shadows of the alley, arriving at the street on the far side.  With only a momentary clearing glance, she darts across the lit avenue, to the alley across the way.  The group follows as quickly as possible, but the girl moves fast even on short legs.  They make a slightly longer check of the safety of crossing the street, but aren't afforded much time if the wish to keep up.

As she begins moving across the way, Clara's eye catches a shape in a window overlooking the street, looking right at the three of them.

Ducking into the next alley, the child stands in an open doorway, which leads to a narrow staircase.  Gardrun has to squeeze, but he can barely fit into it.  Up the stairs they go, and into a smallish room with no windows, and one other door.

Closing the door behind them, the girl looks at them, now in the light.  She scans them up and down, no longer the young child she looks, but a serious business person judging the worth of the risk she is taking.

"A dwarf, in these parts.  Will wonders never cease? 

Fear not, mountain-kin, for we are no strangers to fey..."
she says as she lifts the golden curls hanging around her ears.  You see immediately that her ears have strong points, and ruddy colored hair sticks out in short tufts from under the blond wig.  Much smaller than the elves you've seen before, but looking like no halfling you can recall, it appears she is a cross-breed between them.

"My name is Fiona, and though I look like a child, I've been working for the resistance in this city for longer than you've been alive" she says, pointing at Assad.  "Quickly now, tell me your names and what you would have of me.  If Horace trusts you, that counts highly for me, but I will not risk all I've worked for without good reason."
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »

Jehna

Searching the body, Jehna finds a pen, but no sign of paper.  However, the empty vial, similar to the one she carries, indicates that he may not have been taken at complete surprise.  The man's armband is one of the first human line, and the accompanying markings place him as a watcher and protector.  He has little else; what pack he had was left elsewhere.

Curiously, his right hand is bloodied, as though it held the knife that cut his chest, but none can be seen anywhere nearby, and from the look on his face, it would seem this was not his will at all, but that he had been compelled to act this way.  Perhaps it then was a sign, but to whom, and what it said remained a mystery.
Logged
Clara
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 17


« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

Clara

"My name is Clara.  And as to what we would have of you ...

"We bear intelligence.  West.  We could not tell you its nature under torture, but given the number of people who have died to get it this far, we have every reason to believe that it is of crucial importance.  We need, at the least, a safe place in town to shelter while we seek for someone who arrange for us to travel further on.  Ideally, an introduction to such a person would be of great value to us, for my contacts in this city are old, and I know how swiftly the situation here changes."


She studies Fiona for a moment.  "I will be frank.  We are pursued.  At least one Legate has been dogging our steps since we were in the lands of my dwarven companion here.  I suspect that whoever it is may be playing a game of their own to some extent, but the swifter we are through this town and out, the safer for us and everyone we come into contact with.

"I have other questions to ask of you, but I have told you the main, and my other concerns are moot if we seek your shelter in vain.  So I will wait on your reply.  Although,"
she adds reflectively, "I should also mention that if are ever in need of replacement material for your disguise, I happen to have a small but excellent supply of golden hair available, which I would be glad to contribute to the cause."
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 02:57:46 AM »

Clara et al

"West you say?  To where?  Erethor and the elves?  I think then it a fortunate coincidence you ran into me." she says with an honest smile.  You sense no ill intentions from her.  [OoC] (I figured you'd ask for a Sense Motive, so I went ahead and rolled it for you...)

Reaching into her vest, she pulls out a small wooden tablet, probably a broken plank of the Worm Docks.  Scratched into it are a series of lines, intersections, and the occasional circle at a joint.  An X is at one place.  Clara recognizes this to be a partial map of the sewers of the city.  The uncharted sewers...

"This came to me from friends who know me for true..." she says indicating her ears.  "Be there tomorrow at dawn; a friend awaits to lead you to the elves.

"There is a sewer access down the street, left out the door, third alley on the right, look for the grate.  It should come up easy enough, and should be big enough for your stocky friend to fit through.  I can't promise the smell will be pleasing, but it keeps the orcs and the eyes away.

"Until the, you can sleep in this room.  None should bother you for the next few hours.  I will send Dor, the quiet woman from behind the bar,"
she says with a slight, sad grin, "to bring some food for you.  We can't offer much, but it should be enough to fill your bellies for the night at least."

She heads to the back door of the room, and says in barely more than a whisper, "Sleep while you can, for Hunter's at hand, but the Whisper and Queen will keep you unseen."  It sounds like an old, jaded children's rhyme, one sung thousands of times over thousands of years.  "May the Whisper be always in your mind," she says a little louder, and then vanishes through the door into a narrow hall that disappears too with the closing of the door, leaving the three to their own devices.
Logged
Vexus
Heepa-Heepa


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 8


« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »

Jehna

He dissolved his notes.

It now looks almost certain to her that this is treachery. Jehna decides to search the rest of the ship. If she cannot find some clue to direct her, she will have to return to the enclave for instructions.

Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Cloak and Dagger: CoS in Baden's Bluff
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
AtS Dark Mercury design by Nifelhein, based on the Mercury theme by Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.
TinyPortal © 2005-2011