Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to keep in touch with all Midnight news, subscribe to our News Forum, then every time a news item is posted you will be notified!
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Samwise7's White Wolf Campaign  (Read 3292 times)
samwiseseven
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« on: February 11, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »

I am going to run a 1/month campaign most likely set in Baden's Bluff and the areas around it.

I will be using the White Wolf rules I came up with, that can be found here:
http://www.ats.unifans.org/index.php?topic=1135.0

This month I helped people make characters and tried to rope more players to play, and I have 6 names, so that should be good.

I'm looking forward to running a rules lite fantasy game, set in Midnight.

samwise7
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1

Just when you thought it was safe to smile...

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »

There is a situation in my game, that is annoying.  The place we play at for my gaming club is owned by this one guy that ALWAYS wants to play in my games.  The problem is, he is annoying as hell...  He has the "It's my ball, and I'm leaving" sort of attitude anytime anyone tries to give him any constructive criticism on the way he plays.  He is a Problem Player in many ways, but if I tell him he can't play, he will most likely threaten to not let the gaming club use the space.  It sucks.  I'm a pretty patient person, but with him, it's like finger nails on the chalkboard.

So far I've lost a good player, that I really wanted in the group, because he learned that the Problem Player was playing as well...  The good player was looking forward to the game as well.

So I have to have an annoying player in the game, because we are playing at his place... sigh.

I'm hoping the problem player gets bored and quits so the rest of us can game in peace, hehe. 

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://samwise7.yolasite.com  (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, etc.)
Lazoth
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »

One way I found that may work with him, Wait till he trips up in game and then have his character slaughtered. In midnight its not that hard to achieve. If he complains tell him that the world is a harsh one.
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:04:44 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion!  I think that might work since he isn't a very good player, hehe.

"It's Midnight, nothing is fair."   Grin
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »

I managed to weed the problem player out of the group, and I have 8 or 9 players, though not all of them show up every time.  It's a big group for a roleplaying game, but I've found when you use really rules lite games, it is a lot more doable.

I started off the group living in the worm docks of Baden's Bluff.  Their "base" was some water soaked basement in a old burned out building.  Their first few adventures were trying to steal some supplies from some of the ships on the docks.  Their first try netted them a crate of nails, some bread, and some illegal Orc breastplates that they decided to leave behind.  It proved a good decision, as they were inspected later that night by a large passing Orc patrol.  One member of the party lost several fingers in the inspection, just because.  Smiley

They found a decapitated man, that was nailed to one of the buildings near where they lived.  One thorough member (roguish sort) discovered strange scars from old incisions on the body.  She dug into the body to discover the body itself was smuggling weapons, and other strange unidentified objects into the city.  She hid them in the basement wall, without telling her associates...  They would later be found by one of the intelligent magic items, that pulled the wielder to the spot they were hidden.

They learned that a cache of magical weapons was confiscated and kept in another part of the city.  After some failed attempts they tried the sewers/canal system and found a way there (though they encountered some fell while they were waist deep in humanoid waste).

The weapons were buried in a ring of acidic black intelligent liquid that vaporized any living tissue that touched it.  They managed to dig the weapons out with some sticks, and killed several of the guards (though one pesky Goblin snuck away).  Outside the building, one brave soul had a diversion that took almost all of the outside soldiers with him.  After some changing of clothes (multiple times) and leading the soldiers on a goose chase many hundreds of yards away, he lost them and later returned with the other party members.  It was pretty comical, and he rolled really well (otherwise he would have been bloody meat soup).

Deciding that having anything strongly magical in an occupied city, the group decided it might be best to leave Baden's Bluff (but not before getting some small tokens from the Badens themselves for their work).

The gnome merchant that arranged for their departure (for a price of some hard to find horses, a pig, and most of the crate of nails) was followed by a pair of large black crows.  They managed to knock out (but not kill) the bird, and wrap it in a cloth bag.  They buried the bag behind a wall and bricked him in.  They are sure that the other bird told of their location, making their need to flee the city all the more apparent.

They also learned (by taking other Orc character sheets and roleplaying them) that Jael the Hunter has been given new powers, and it was from him that they stole the magic items.  Needless to say, he will be hunting them down to take them back... 

The game system is working quite well (even a few newbies to RPGs understand them), but I've lowered the default success number back to 6 (original white wolf rules) as many of the players have extremely bad luck, hehe.  I still give them difficult rolls, but the standard ones are now 6s for difficulty.

I even have 3 female players, which is a personal record for me.  It adds a nice twist to the game.
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »

One of the characters stayed in Baden's Bluff (as the player couldn't play anymore) but I am going to run a solo adventure for in in PBP format here:
http://eonsreach.com/gaspforum/index.php?topic=2451.new#new

Most of the characters left the city of Baden's Bluff smuggled in small crates on a Gnomish trading ship.  During the ride, they were boarded, and very smartly killed all of the Orcs one by one very quietly.  (I expected at least one character to get jacked up, but they played it smart).  Two strange looking "birds" sat in the rigging till the characters started shooting them with arrows.  They attacked and were captured and kept alive.

Later they saw 4 trading ships in pursuit of them.  The traders, knowing that they were in mortal danger, spread oil over the water behind them and lit the water to a deadly blaze.  Two of the following ships were burned, and their crews and Orc Soldiers were burned alive on them.  In the chaos, the group escaped the ship on a large rowboat and quickly made it for the shore.  The pursuing ships kept following the ship the party was on, and left their intended prey on the shore.

In the boat, creeping slowly along the shore, they were tipped over by some hungry fell.  Many of them almost drowned, but they managed to get to the shore and fend off the attack, killing several of the watery Fell.

They face trying to get to the Elves to the West, and having to somehow get through the firery front of the war, that the can see burning in the distance...
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Samwise7's White Wolf Campaign
Jump to: