Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 17, 2021, 10:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to know when a new thread is posted try subscribing to a forum.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.II [IC] Part 1  (Read 376976 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Doomed Hero
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,907



« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »

Verador

Verador had always been confused by the nervousness of the human races. It made sense for a culture subjugated and defeated to be innately fearful, but why they could never let it go even when they were in the very heart of Caradul, perhaps the safest place left in the world, he would never understand. Perhaps the ability to relax only came with maturity and age. Something few humans ever reached.

He looks at Avren for a moment, studying and then speaks softly in trader's tongue without any hint of accent.

You sought those who still fight the Shadow. You have found them. Bear your scar with pride, Avren. It may have bought you a chance at a life worth living.

He motions to the small figure still left to be seated.

Sit, cousin. You make the room smaller by your distance.

He had heard of an Erunsil-blooded elfling from one of his Danisil brothers. Apparently Nazir had been looking out for one. What were the odds that this was the same individual? On the other hand, what were the odds there were two?
Logged

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
arnon
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,600



« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 05:19:58 PM »

Shelg

Shelg exchanged looks with Murwick as the durrrow came to stand next to him. He stood there silent; he was trying to make Shelg feel comfortable... Shelg gave him a quick half smile. He has in him much more than he shows.

He turned his head to the erunsil as he spoke. Shelg could never seem to grasp Trader's Tongue completely, and so far he got the gist of the conversation but missed quite a few word and meanings. "I sitting too much lately," he says finally in halting Trader's Tongue not moving from his position against the wall.

"I am Shelg," he says simply, "and serve the Shadow I did."
Logged
samwise7
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1
Gender: Male
Posts: 229


Just when you thought it was safe to smile...


WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

Murwick

"If my new friend here..."

Murwick motions to Shelg.

"...who used to serve the Shadow wants to remain standing, I will stand with him, so he isn't so lonely.  It is not good to be alone in a troubled world.  I'm glad you can talk sir, I was afraid you had your tongue ripped from your mouth." 

Murwick looks back to those at the table.

"But if he wants to sit at the table, I will sit with the rest of you.  But until then I will stand, though my height be closer to the ground.

Murwick looks at Shelg and smiles earnestly, and seems to have some empathy showing in his face and eyes.

Murwick hopefully looks more like a Gnome than a Dwarrow, as that is always his intent and tries to disguise himself to look that way.  He also tries to hunch over as he walks leaning on his walking stick, so that he doesn't appear as tall as he actually is.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:55:25 PM by samwise7 » Logged

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://samwise7.yolasite.com  (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, etc.)
Doomed Hero
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,907



« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »

Verador

Verador nods once.

As you will You do yourself no service by admitting to have served the Shadow and then lurking against the walls. For now you are safe here. You would do well to take advantage of that.

With that he folds his hands and turns his attention back towards Avren, waiting for further information.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »

Teliir

Still caressing the wolf, Teliir looks at Arven's arm, and nods with a slight smile at his explanation.  But as Shelg speaks, her posture tenses.  She moves both hands to the table, one partly over the other, reflexes on edge.  The wolf's head lifts and it looks momentarily around for the hand that was petting it before sinking back to a reclined posture.  Questions form in her head, but she stays silent. 

'Who would admit they worked for the Shadow in this place?' And who would survive that admission?'
Logged

1.6180339887...
Dunkin stats
samwise7
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1
Gender: Male
Posts: 229


Just when you thought it was safe to smile...


WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »

Murwick

"Arven, that sure does look like a nasty scar.  I am glad that there were those that could heal you.  I have some talent in that regard, since I was a kid it has been that way.  Though I have gotten better at the art of putting people back together again since then.  There are those that are better than I of course, and I don't boast of my skills, but skills they are."

Murwick turns to Shelg, who he still doesn't know the name of.

"Hey friend, perhaps it would be best to sit at the, um... end of the table?  It might put the rest of them at ease, just a little.  You must admit, that such an open declaration, will probably not find welcome responses...  Come on, sitting down ain't going to kill you."

Murwick winks, and moves his head towards one of the open chairs at the end of the table, a little ways away from everyone else.

"What do you say?"
Logged
arnon
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,600



« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 01:30:19 AM »

Shelg

"I say what you suspect and fear," Shegl says, "we are to travel together. It is on less thing you need on your mind. One less distraction. I left the Shadow, accept it or not."
Logged
samwise7
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1
Gender: Male
Posts: 229


Just when you thought it was safe to smile...


WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 07:52:44 AM »

Murwick looks at those sitting at the table, shrugs his shoulders, and then remains standing by Shelg.

Murwick thinks to himself, that this is going to be interesting...
Logged
Kane
Administrator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3
Posts: 715


« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 08:08:36 AM »

Avren looks long and hard at the dwarrow, searching his memory to see if Murwick was one of those who kiled his family or drove the slave laborers in Erenhead.  There were so many wielding the whips, it was tough to be sure, but there was something about the former Shadowkin that struck a chord in his memory.  If the dwarrrow was at Erenhead he will not leave the forest alive, even if he's under the Witch Queen's protection.  Until I can prove his guilt, my eyes will be on him.

Trying to disguise his suspicion, Avren speaks to change the mood in the room, "I would know why the Witch Queen has formed a group such as us.  Is it just because we are expendable, or do we have some unique skills that will help fulfill her goals?"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:43:14 AM by Kane » Logged
Doomed Hero
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,907



« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »

Veradror

Both
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »

Teliir

Or perhaps we are the only foolish enough to volunteer...
Logged
samwise7
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1
Gender: Male
Posts: 229


Just when you thought it was safe to smile...


WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 09:51:03 PM »

Murwick the Dwarrow (not Elfling)

"We are expendable and stupid enough to volunteer, so both, I agree.  But I must say that some people would call Patriotism stupid, while others extol it's virtue, namely those that have it respect it.  I guess we don't really have a country that is our own anymore, so we will fight for those that wish to restore freedom once again to the world, if that is even possible.  I fear we can be nothing more than a sharp thorn, in a rather large clawed foot, that is ready to crush us to death..."

Murwick seems lost in thought for a time, as if thinking of internal matters and then talks some more, as it seems that is one of his flaws/talents.

"I have some skills in the wild places, and some skill with using my fists as weapons, though my hands are smaller than most, I admit, and like I said, I've had a gift for healing."

"How about the rest of you, what do you bring to the table, skill wise?"
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »

Teliir

Teliir looks Murwick in the for a long moment, then looks over to Verador with a tired gaze.  She reaches beneath her shirt and pulls out a simple but carefully-made necklace of hemp and bird feathers, punctuated by an occasional claw.  There seems to be much room for more trophies to be added.

"One from each of the Shadow's magic-sniffing beasts I've slain," she says as she lets the necklace fall around her neck.
Logged
Harrowed
Moderator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1
Posts: 1,856



« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »

The leaves at the door part and a Caransil fey steps through. Dressed from head to toe in bright red fabric that seems to flow over her, shrouding the details of her form. SHe looks over each of the people in the room, a nod for Teliir and Verador and a raised eyebrow for Shelg.

Let us converse in a language that all can understand. I am Councilor Lina, in service to the Queen. You've all gathered here because you've volunteered for a mission, without knowing the nature or the dangers. I salute your courage and bravery, it's a are thing in these times to find those traits, especially in those not of the fey. She pauses speaking and steps lightly over to the table. Plucking a goblet up she fills in with water and sips.

As I was saying, the mission. It will take you far from here, and certainly involve much danger. Everything that I speak of from this point on should be considered most secret and the penalties for speaking out of turn will be severe.

Verador recently returned from a successful mission to the Dwarves of the Kaladrun mountains. He returned with secrets given to us in the spirit of continued resistance from the Dwarven Thanes. The secrets of forging the metal Mithral, until now an exclusive secret of the Dwarven people.

For those of you that are unaware Mithral is a potent metal. While difficult to work and forge the end result is well worth the effort. A blade of Mithral can cleave through armor like a river stone parts the waves. Weapons like these would give our soldiers on the Eastern Front a needed advantage,

Until the recent Shadow push into the Highhorn mountains a supply of the metal was accessable. Curse the Shadow, just when we have a need for those ancient mines we have been cut off. But rest easier, the mission does not involve assaulting the Highhorns, that would be suicide.

We know of a second source of the metal, much further away and less dangerous than the Highhorns.


She pauses again for a second sip.

Before I continue, are there any questions up to this point?
Logged

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
arnon
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,600



« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »

Shelg

Mithral! Shelg's eyes darted for a brief second to Verador, he has crossed the continent twice. An impressive feat indeed.

And Mithral. Shelg heard of the metal, it will certainly be a boon to those who resist the Shadow... those who resist, I should say Us who resist...

Shelg had no questions, and shock his head slightly at the Caransil.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »

Teliir

Teliir's eyebrows climb her forehead when she hears about Verador's mission and it's success, and her head spins to give him a congratulatory smile.

"Not to the Highhorns?  That is unfortunate.  But to where then?" she thinks, but remains silent.
Logged
Doomed Hero
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,907



« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »

Verador is strangely impassive as word of his deeds are spoken. He stares silently at the table, one hand absently scratching the wolf at his side. As Tellir smiles and congradulates him he glances her way for a moment, his brows furrowing slightly with his discomfort, then he turns away. For a split second he seems almost shy, then his stoney mask returns. He turns to Lady Lina and waits.

High in the rafters, the eagle stretches a wing and begins preening franticly, obviously discomforted by something.

Logged
Kane
Administrator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3
Posts: 715


« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »

Avren knows nothing of mithril but stays quiet to hide his ignorance.  How will finding this metal help his people?  Will the fey give mithril weapons to the humans in the Green March?  Will mithril turn the tide against the Shadow and free the southlands?  He doubted that his people would see any benefit, but his debt to the fey must be honored?  Not wishing to waste any precious time he asked, "If not these mountains you name, then where are we going and when?  I would see my debt repaid so I can rejoin my brothers in the Green march."
Logged
samwise7
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1
Gender: Male
Posts: 229


Just when you thought it was safe to smile...


WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2008, 08:18:04 AM »

Murwick

"I've never heard of the metal, but if you say it would be a valuable metal against the enemy, I will help seek it out.  Are we to lead miners to this unmentioned mountain range?  Where are the mountains, and how far away are they?  Are their any rumors of the mountains that we seek, such as old wives tales that may help us along the way?"

Murwick seems like he wants to talk more, but then it looks like he realizes that talking a lot here might be a bad thing, and bites his lip and closes his mouth.
Logged
Harrowed
Moderator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1
Posts: 1,856



« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »

Councilor Lina

She smiles at Murwick, You have a questioning nature, lucky that I have discovered that questions can lead to wisdom. You will be travelling far to the south, through the lands of the Danasil to the Arunath Mountains. That is the last source of Mithral that is within our reach. Beneath one of the Elthedar ruins are mines, as ancient as the crumbling buildings above. It is thought that the Elthedar used Mithral in their works of art, but no traces have ever been found. She shrugs, It's just a theory, others believe the Elthedar to have been a more warlike race and used Mithral in their armaments. I would rather believe that once, war didn't touch our people.

In the Archives one my Seekers found a report from shortly before the Shadow in the North struck all of our lands. It detailed a group of mixed, I guess that you would best call them mercenaries, in the service of a prominant Danasil merchant, . They were tasked with finding and looting Elthedar ruins for items of value. What they lacked in common sense, I'll give them, they made up for in courage. Their last report, send by some sort of flying messenger bird, detailed the discovery of a vast series of mines under a ruined city high in the Arunath Mountains. Among their discoveries were veins in the rock of a silvered metal, their discription matches Mithral very closely.

Another sip of water

With the war starting the market for art and ancient trinkets dried up, and the merchant turned to more practical markets. He notes, on his reports to the Council, that he sent several more messenger birds but never received a response. The band of mercenaries was never heard from again, and in the chaos of the beginning years of the war they were quickly forgotten and lost. I'm having copies made of all the reports concerning this band and the ruins they investigated. However, your best source of information will be the merchant himself. He lives in the Hamlet of the Druid's Swamp, he's their point of contact with the human resistance in the plains. Once a merchant, always I suppose.

The preperations for such are journey are extenisve and we are still putting them together. We have procured a ship, and crew, from the Queen's river boats. They will be at your disposal to take you south. You were not the only volunteers, a call was put out for a second group from among the refugees that shelter under our trees and our protection. This second group will act as labour for your mission. They will assist in constructing the mining infrastructure that you will need to start ...
She pauses for a moment, as if searching for a word

... extracting the Mithral. Among their group are several experienced miners, their help will be invaluable. Now, please, ask me the questions that you have been holding.
Logged
Kane
Administrator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3
Posts: 715


« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »

The thought of finding other humans who willing work against the Shadow steels Avren's resolve.  Maybe this mission will benefit those who live under the Shadow's yoke.  Still small doubts enter his mind as even he has heard of the demon haunted ruins in the Danisil Jungle.  While he is willing to risk his life to repay his debt and help the fey, are these other volunteers able to protect themselves?  Is it worth the risk to take them through the jungle without knowing the location and dangers of these mines?

"I will go when the boat is ready but is it wise to bring the miners with us when we don't know what happened to the last explorers or know the dangers we might face?  If you need their skills to mine the ore, should we not leave them at a safe camp until we have secured the mine?"
Logged
Harrowed
Moderator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1
Posts: 1,856



« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »

"I will go when the boat is ready but is it wise to bring the miners with us when we don't know what happened to the last explorers or know the dangers we might face?  If you need their skills to mine the ore, should we not leave them at a safe camp until we have secured the mine?"

Councilor Lina

I understand your concerns, especially for your kin. However the nearest safe camp, if such a thing exists outside of Caradul, that could accomdate a group of that size would be about two hundred kilometers up the river. There are many Danasil villages along the river but none that could support that many new mouths, especially mouths that are unfamiliar with the jungle and swamp. If you can find a safe camp for them, close to your goal, then by all means do so.
Logged
Doomed Hero
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,907



« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »

Verador

At the mention of the Danisil, the corners of Verator's mouth turn up. At the mention of the group's destination, His brows knot with concern.

The Arunath? Are you sure this is safer than pushing the Orcs out of the Highhorns? There are few places I have been that are more dangerous, especially to those who do not know the Jungle. To send miners there, to collect a large group of nearly defenseless men in such a place, may be like baiting a fisherman's hook. We may not survive what we catch.

He shakes his head

I agree with Avren. It would be a much better use of resources to gather the miners in the surrounding villages, perhaps breaking them up into smaller, more manageable groups and then sending for them once the safety of the site has been established. The Jungle is not to be taken lightly.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:25:55 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,502



WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2008, 06:13:12 PM »

Teliir

Teliir's brow furrows in thought at the mention of jungles to the South. 

I have no knowledge of the jungle... she thinks as she glances over to Verador.  He will have to be our guide...without him we might be doomed...

The jungles hold fearsome, malevolent spirits.  I fear them not, but I worry our small group would have difficulty protecting a large group of others.  How well known to the Danasil are these ruins?  Do we have any reliable information about their location or the spirits living within?
Logged
Harrowed
Moderator
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1
Posts: 1,856



« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2008, 11:45:54 PM »

Verador

The Arunath? Are you sure this is safer than pushing the Orcs out of the Highhorns? There are few places I have been that are more dangerous, especially to those who do not know the Jungle. To send miners there, to collect a large group of nearly defenseless men in such a place, may be like baiting a fisherman's hook. We may not survive what we catch.

He shakes his head

I agree with Avren. It would be a much better use of resources to gather the miners in the surrounding villages, perhaps breaking them up into smaller, more manageable groups and then sending for them once the safety of the site has been established. The Jungle is not to be taken lightly.

Councilor Lina

Its your decision, but it'll be up to you to convince the Danasil then. Our relations are, she pauses for a second so short that it doesn't seem like a pause, strained at the moment. Permission to travel through their lands to the mountains was difficult enough with adding to their burdens.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Crown of Shadows (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight, Harrowed)  |  Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.II [IC] Part 1
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
AtS Dark Mercury design by Nifelhein, based on the Mercury theme by Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 30 queries.
TinyPortal © 2005-2011