Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 08:22:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know that to post outside of the Meta forum you must log in
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Wil's Crown of Shadow  (Read 2868 times)
Wil_Upchurch
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-1

« on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »

Ok, so I thought I'd post an ongoing blog about my experience running Crown of Shadows. Right now I'm planning for it to take much longer than normal, and actually maybe never finish. Each leg of the journey is going to include side-treks for as long as the players and I find them interesting, and then we'll move along. Some will be plot-driven, others episodic. I don't have much planned right now, other than I'm going to run them through the first four chapters of Crown of Shadow, and then segueway into "The Well of Rebellion" from the back of M2E. I'll likely use "On the Run" from M1E for part of their river travels, and I'm still trying to figure out how/when to sneak in "What You Don't Know." Yeah, I'm a pregen running fool, but none of my players have played Midnight before, so it's kinda like TV reruns...if you haven't seen them, they're new to you! Smiley I also have this crazy idea for integrating a Grimm side-trek, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If you guys have any input or ideas from reading my logs, feel free to shoot them around. I'll be trying to integrate plenty of tailored story into the linked adventures, hoping to give each character the spotlight and make them really feel a part of the setting.

The characters are:

Asha Tanner, Erenlander naturefriend wildlander
Finster Asterborn, Gnome healer channeler
???, Dworg giantblooded wildlander

It's been 100 years since the Shadow fell...

"Damn, that's so lame, why are writers all lazy. It's always 100 years this, 100 years that. Why can't it be 62 years, or 137 years?"
Wil_Upchurch
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »

You've been run aground at Low Rock for weeks now, and the local garrison under Warlord Gaalak is starting to take notice. You once visited here yearly, but haven't been here in some time before this most recent journey. My how things have changed. Once a lightly garrisoned region with strong resistance ties, the gathering army at Erenhead to the west has brought a new focus on Low Rock as a fort on the edge of Fey territory. Gaalak is a warrior first and foremost, not a spymaster, having cut his teeth at the siege of Calador. This means that the resistance under Lord Orin has been able to maintain its activities so far, but for how long...?

It seems Gaalak's men bring fresh Dwarven heads and treasures back daily, and you've heard rumors that the caverns and tunnels in the low hills have all but been mapped and taken for the Shadow. Can it be long before Low Rock becomes a larger staging ground, and comes under the attention of a more savvy master?

It is under these conditions that your old friend Wendell, a gnome trader of good standing, comes to you with a proposition. He needs trusted allies to accompany him on a trip he must undertake for his patrons, the Gale family. The pay is...indeterminate...which you know is a sign that it's a resistance job.

This could be the last "safe" chance for you to help strike a blow against the Shadow here, and the Gale family could certainly help you get out of town should you get on their good side.

What say you?
Wil_Upchurch
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »

Durgis Rock is like a home away from home -- if you knew where home was in the first place. Its motley collection of dwarves, refugee humans, and the occasional dworg and dwarrow is as close to a family as you've ever known, especially since your own family history has been lost to the war. The Rock, as you call it, was once a key outpost on the trade routes between the dwarves and the Dornish humans and the gnomes. It is now mostly empty, less than 300 souls by your estimation, where it used to hold a thousand or more. It is surrounded by a formidable wall, and though there are many surface buildings, there is a substantial underground complex as well. The finely worked stone of the wall was quarried from the crags that surround the place, giving it a feeling of isolation, and under dark skies it can feel as claustrophobic as its sister town below.

When you are here, you make camp in one of the many abandoned buildings aboveground, with most of the other non-dwarves, while much of the dwarven population works tirelessly to seal off and defend the settlement from below. After 100 years, work is nearly complete, and Woden -- the Rock's dorthane -- is fading fast.

Lately you've heard talk that the settlement may break up, with several factions each going on their own way. Though times are bleak, many families have undergone a rennaissance of births and good fortune, leading to a feeling of hope among many in both camps. You think it may have as much to do with the lack of an heir for Woden, whose steady hand has kept this place alive for so long now.

It is under these conditions that Woden calls you to his chambers. Lying sickly in his bed and tended to by servants, he beckons you near. He praises your skills, and tells you what value you've brought to the Rock these many years, before asking of you a favor. He wants you to travel beyond the walls with two others -- Dunkan, a good-natured dwarf whose travels are great for one so young, and a young dworg that you see helping the aboveground settlement from time to time. Your destination is nearby Kurgun Falls, to meet a party of outlanders and guide them back to Durgis Rock.

You aren't sure why, but you get the feeling Woden has wagered his last bit of strength on this task, and he seems eager for you to accept without further questioning. But tracking is what you do, and you've been here a little too long for your liking anyway. You always feel as if the longer you stay in one place, the heavier the Shadow becomes.

What say you?
Wil_Upchurch
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »

You've lived at Durgis Rock for the past few years, finally having found something close to a home after being driven away from nearly everywhere you've gone. This surface-dwelling settlement of the Kurgun clan is known as a haven for half-breeds, outlanders, and others who are welcome nowhere else. The Rock, as you call it, was once a key outpost on the trade routes between the dwarves and the Dornish humans and the gnomes. It is now mostly empty, less than 300 souls by your estimation, where it used to hold a thousand or more. It is surrounded by a formidable wall, and though there are many surface buildings, there is a substantial underground complex as well. The finely worked stone of the wall was quarried from the crags that surround the place, giving it a feeling of isolation, and under dark skies it can feel as claustrophobic as its sister town below.

You live above ground, with most of the other non-dwarves, while much of the dwarven population works tirelessly to seal off and defend the settlement from below. After 100 years, work is nearly complete, and Woden -- the Rock's dorthane -- is fading fast.

Lately you've heard talk that the settlement may break up, with several factions each going on their own way. Though times are bleak, many families have undergone a rennaissance of births and good fortune, leading to a feeling of hope among many in both camps. You think it may have as much to do with the lack of an heir for Woden, whose steady hand has kept this place alive for so long now.

It is under these conditions that Woden calls you to his chambers. Lying sickly in his bed and tended to by servants, he beckons you near. He praises your strength, and tells you what value you've brought to the Rock these many years, before asking of you a favor. He wants you to travel beyond the walls with two others -- Dunkan, a good-natured dwarf who's travels are great for one so young, and Asha, a friend of the clan from beyond the mountains, and one of the few humans who travels in these hills anymore. Your destination is nearby Kurgun Falls, to meet a party of outlanders and guide them back to Durgis Rock.

You aren't sure why, but you get the feeling Woden has wagered his last bit of strength on this task, and he seems eager for you to accept without further questioning. Still, any misgivings you may have are weighed against the old dwarf's acceptance of you and your father when you first arrived. And the prospect of getting off the Rock and doing something get your blood boiling.

What say you?
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Wil's Crown of Shadow
Jump to: