Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2019, 07:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

You can enable or disable the quick reply box in your profile, be sure to change the settings to suit your own preferences.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: The Paladins Reborn  (Read 38411 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »

Before the sundering, the gods made their presence felt all over Erdane. Some places more than others.

In the far north there was once a castle unique in all of Erdane. It may have once been built by the First Fae, or it may have been a gift from the gods themselves. The truth has been lost, but it's purpose has not. It was built to bring hope to the land, and for that it was named. Hope. The Glass Castle. The City of Heaven. Now it merely slumbers. The castle and it's lone inhabitant forgotten.

At one time the castle was home to petitioners and scholars from all over the land. They would pilgrimage to this nearly unreachable place for the privilage of speaking directly to the Herald, a powerful outsider who was tasked with being mouthpeice of the gods themselves.

The Herald's message is written in flowing, golden script across the stained glass walls. It is scribed in the language of the Celestials themselves, now all but unknown. If it could be read, the message would be simple and astounding to any reader in this age.

You are loved by your creators. They desire your happiness. No being is greater than any other under their eyes. All deserve happiness, no one more than any other. Farmer and King, Begger and Priest. All are welcome. Here, all titles and distinctions are forgotten. Your name and deeds are all that matter to the Gods.

The Herald would answer any question, great or small and give the questioner what they needed to get back to their home, plus a bit more just for making such a long journey.

There were 7 who acted as the Herald's aids and disciples. This group was simply known as the Shepherds. They were scholars and teachers. Each was granted a fragment of the Herald's essence, which made them resilient and strengthened their will. The Shepherds served as long as they chose to. Some only for a season, others for decades. When they left, the small fragment of the Herald's essence stayed with them, though it's empowering effects lessened with time and distance. The most notable gift possessed by the Shepherds was simple longevity. If the Shepherds did age,it was unnoticable. They were also charged with the upkeep of the castle, which was made from a heavenly substance resembling glass, but harder than steel. It came from a pool in the center of the castle which glowed with the power of the gods. They formed and shaped it wit their minds, like a talented potter works clay. They were able to form objects of powerful enchantment simply by willing the divine energy as it formed. The Shepherds came from all cultures and faiths throughout time, though in the time of the Sundering none were priests, which was lucky.

Shortly before the Sundering, the Herald began telling pilgrims to prepare for a time of great strife. The great Celestial seemed troubled, though not even the Shepherds knew why. When asked, all the Herald would say was that there was trouble in the heavens, and fate was uncertain. In the end, the Herald chose to remain at his post. To stay in the mortal realm and lend assistance and relief against the coming darkness.

Or, would have. Even the Herald could not predict the colossal effect of Izrador's fall. The Sundering cut off the ways to the heavens. For a creature that was directly tied to not just one deity, but an entire pantheon, it was too much. The shock of that severing knocked the Herald into a coma-like state.

The world shook with Izrador's fall. The sun was blotted out for a time, the northern horizon glowed with fire, and the Herald collapsed as the ground ripped and buckled. When the dust finally began to settle, the Shepherds found themselves in the treacherous heights of a new mountain range. Only the miraculous glass that composed the castle saved them from total destruction.

After the Shepherds realized what had happened, they tried and failed to revive their patron many times. years passed, and they eventually gave up hope of waking the Herald. Two of the Shepherds believed that in time, once the shock had worn off, that a powerful ritual involving the object's of the Herald's office may break the coma, but the others were not willing to wait. After contacting the a powerful Diviner, and discovering the true depth of what had happened, the Shepherds decided that their place was among the people, doing what they could to aid the now godless and confused peoples of Erdane.

They sealed the Herald inside a sarcophagus, and performed a powerful ritual which filled the coffin with the glass-like substance, and formed it to fool any magical attempts to find the powerful celestial. Afterward they worked a powerful glamour which would cause any who had been to the City of Heaven to forget how they had gotten there and where the Castle was. Finally they encased the entire castle in the same steely glass, save for one opening for them to leave through.

Each still wished to spread hope to the chaotic land, so each took one of their Patron's tools, the Book, the Blade, the Orb, the Chain, the Harp, the Fire and the Horn, and they left. All but one were blindfolded. Once they had reached the shores of the Pelluria, they were unmasked, and their guide allowed her memory to be erased.

Then they said goodbye, and scattered across Erdane. Once the Shadow fell, they realized that the powerful objects they carried would be sought out by the agents of darkness. They retreated from prominence, disappearing into tiny isolated areas, doing their best to spread their message in more subtle ways.

They are old in a way that none but the Witch Queen herself understands, yet they are mortal, unsuited for such longevity. They have hidden in plain sight for a thousand years. Most have given up. Others have forgotten. One even turned traitor and has been assigned to tracking down his former friends and colleagues.

If someone were to speak to the right old man who mumbles dangerous blasphemies, or find the right book, written in a language unseen since the sundering, and find the right person to translate it, they would find the unfinished details of a ritual to wake the Bringer of Hope. Were they to collect the right tools, and avoid capture, making their way by an unfinished map and bits and pieces of fragmented memories, to the far, far north, they may find the ancient castle which is now the Herald's tomb.

The Herald still sleeps. Should some lucky soul manage to make their way through the nearly impassable mountains and happen to be standing on a certain ice flow at high noon, during summer when the ice is clear, they may be able to make out a golden shape far beneath them. If they follow the edge of the glacier and work their way down a treacherous crevasse, thy may find a point where the ice is lifted from the rock by a clear unbreakable glass. They may even find an opening which would grant them passage into an empty, timeless castle.

If they placed enough of the right objects on the tomb, believed in a way unknown for a thousand years, and blew the Horn to wake the Sleeper, maybe, just maybe the Last Herald of the Lost Gods would awaken.

The Herald would be weak, and confused, perhaps even a bit mad, but Celestials are creatures defined by their duty. To the Herald, hope and virtue are not ideals or goals. They are fundamental truths which need to be spread. The Herald would teach those who had awakened it.

In a land shrouded in darkness and ruled by tyranny, the truth needs to be bourn with fire and steel. The Shepherds of old were scholars and teachers, healers and priests. Today, they must be Warriors, Crusaders, Templars and Knights.

Paladins.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:51:06 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
smeagol

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:28:17 AM »

Very good, Doomed Hero! I like the way you introduce the concept as a campaign goal: very fitting.

Just one thing: there were no humans in Eredane before the Sundering. The first humans to make it to the continent were Dorns, and they arrived by the end of the First Age.

The alethar (elves, dwarves, etc) were still not born by this time: only elthedar roamed the lands.

So, logically, your Shepherds would be the last remnants of the elthedar race... disguised as unaging humans perhaps?

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:45:54 AM »

I’d also mention that the original location must have changed after the Sundering shook and reshaped the land (I’m sure it says that somewhere).

Mind that this does not mean that it cannot by high in the Highborn Mountains, just that it was probably not the original location.

Other than that, i like it. Smiley
Doomed Hero

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:20:48 PM »

Just one thing: there were no humans in Eredane before the Sundering. The first humans to make it to the continent were Dorns, and they arrived by the end of the First Age.

The alethar (elves, dwarves, etc) were still not born by this time: only elthedar roamed the lands.

So, logically, your Shepherds would be the last remnants of the elthedar race... disguised as unaging humans perhaps?

Hmm. You're right. I had my timeline mixed up. I really like that idea though. I'm going to edit the original post.

As for the change in geography, I'll toss in a line about that too.

Thanks!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »

I was thinking about the Paladins being the new versions of the Shepherds. The image in my head of the Shepherds was of a robed figure carrying a crook as a symbol of their office.

So then I was thinking of the Paladins, warrior versions of the Shepherds, wearing heavy armor under their hooded robes and still carrying shepherd's crooks, only made of metal and weighted for war, edged on the inside, blunt and reinforced along the back of the curve, with a spear point on the butt end. Basically like a modified Scythe, or a really big Dwarven Urgosh. Something like-

War Crook: 2d4  x4 crit. 8 lb. Bludgeoning/Slashing/Peircing.
War Crooks can be used to trip and grant a +4 bonus to any Trip attempt. The butt end of a War Crook has statistics identical to a Spear (without a range increment.) The Spear end may be used to set against a Charge. War Crooks are two handed exotic weapons.

I have some ideas to make it a more versatile weapon, able to be used as a one-handed weapon, a two handed weapon or even a Double weapon to allow Paladins to be fairly diverse in their approach of combat. One might use it in a traditional weapon-and-shield style, another might use it in two hands with the Power Attack approach, another might be a whirling, monk-like dervish using it as a double weapon, another might simply use it in their off hand to compliment a sword. What do you folks think?

If the feedback is positive, I'll toss in proficiency in the War Crook and an ability or two allowing for different combat styles (like I mentioned earlier) If not, I'll scrap it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:16:12 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
smeagol

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

wearing heavy armor under their hooded robes and still carrying shepherd's crooks, only made of metal and weighted for war, with a spear point on the butt end. Basically like a modified Scythe, or a really big Dwarven Urgosh

Ouch, that ain't gonna be DISCRETE... Remember that in the Last Age, wielding such obvious, big weapons means certain death, even for a Paladin...
Doomed Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

They're paladins. Not really known for subtlety.

Really, though it's not as bas as it sounds. Wearing a Breastplate or some silenced chain (by weaveing yarn into the links) underneath a heavy monk's robe will make it fairly easy to hide. For the Crook, you wrap it in linen. Shepherds actually used to do this to protect the sheep's necks from the hard wood. Cap the spear end to make it look like a normal staff, and the Paladin would actually look like a simple shepherd.

Just by unwrapping the Crook and tossing on a Tabard a Paladin could go from a country bumpkin to a beacon of hope and defiance.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:34:10 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »

You mention a Hornblower, with no explanation as to what it is. In fact, I think you shift from Hornblower to Herald randomly throughout the piece, referring to the same being.

As smeag said, you need to double-check which races were in existence at the time of the Sundering... Aradil wasn't around then, for one.

They're paladins. Not really known for subtlety.

Then they'll be known for deadness.

Chain or breastplate have a -5 or -4 (respectively) to ACP (which affects both Hide and Move Silently), and reduce your speed to 20ft. No-one is gonna mistake that hulking, slow-moving figure for a shepherd. There are no rules for 'weaving yarn' into chainmail, either.

The idea is interesting, but you really need to fit it into the idea that this is Occupied Territory.

On a second read through, you're no proposing this as an organisation for PCs, are you? There's not going to be a Paladin prestige class or the like... the Paladins are specifically those seven ancient beings? You can probably disregard what I said, then. If they're so old and powerful, just given them +1 Full Plate of Silent Moves, or some other unique piece of gear Smiley
Doomed Hero

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »

You mention a Hornblower, with no explanation as to what it is. In fact, I think you shift from Hornblower to Herald randomly throughout the piece, referring to the same being.
I thought I changed all those. The Hornblower was my original name. I liked Herald better.

As smeag said, you need to double-check which races were in existence at the time of the Sundering... Aradil wasn't around then, for one.

Yup. Rewriting.

Chain or breastplate have a -5 or -4 (respectively) to ACP (which affects both Hide and Move Silently), and reduce your speed to 20ft. No-one is gonna mistake that hulking, slow-moving figure for a shepherd. There are no rules for 'weaving yarn' into chainmail, either.

Actually, I think there are some rules for silencing armor in the Complete Adventurer. Or maybe it was the old Song and Silence. Anyway, I'd just treat it like a Masterwork piece of skill equipment, granting a +2 bonus to Move silently checks, which helps negate some of the ACP. If the armor is masterwork too, you could reduce it down to a -1 or 2 penalty. If your silencing stuff was made by Elves (who's equipment goes up to +5) you've really got nothing to worry about.

Or simply use lighter armor.

you're not proposing this as an organisation for PCs, are you? There's not going to be a Paladin prestige class or the like... the Paladins are specifically those seven ancient beings?
My first thought was to make new Shepherds, to replace to old, crazed, dead or fallen ones. The Paladins would be the replacements, the highest members of the order being the new Shepherds.
smeagol

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »

Doomed Hero, it just needs a little polishing... Smiley

Just keep'em coming Grin
Doomed Hero

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »

Thanks guys. This certainly makes revisions easier.

So what do you think of the Shepherd's Crook? Do you like it as a symbol? Should I make it one of the class features of the PrC? Should I scrap it for something different?

Maybe make it a traditional wooden crook, dealing bludgeoning damage, and make the Paladin a Defender-style PrC.

I really like the classic crusader image. It especially stands out in Midnight. Maybe there should be two sets of abilities. One for "under cover" and another for "going to war".

smeagol

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »

make the Paladin a Defender-style PrC.

Maybe there should be two sets of abilities. One for "under cover" and another for "going to war".

I think Paladins should be recruited among the Defenders, first learning the defender "ways" (ie, fighting bare-handed or with "light" weapons that can pass as tools), then accessing to "Paladin-style". Most of the time, they would only need "under cover" abilities (since they will act mostly in occupied territory), but they could gain access, in the uppermost levels (as a legendary class perhaps, since only a small handful of individuals are likely to reach such levels in the Last Age of Aryth) to "going to war" Paladin-style.

My two vp.

smeagol

PS: just keep the crook as a shepherd's tool that can be used as a weapon in trained hands.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »

Two separate classes. Hmm. I like it.

1st class, 5 levels long, accessible by about 7th level. Concentrating or expanding on Defender like abilities and skills, but possessing Divine Grace, Lay On Hands, and Remove Disease. Able to use the Shepherd's Crook as a weapon, picking a favored style, with different maneuvers depending on the style chosen.

2nd class, 5 levels long, accessible at 12th. Set up like a Legendary Class. Requires one of the abilities of the 1st class as a requirement. Expands or grants Paladin-like abilities. Favored mount. Maybe the ability to turn undead, demons and/or Shadow-spawn. Access to the Holy Sword spell (which would be truly awesome in Midnight.) Toss in a few abilities to grant Aura-like bonuses, and a couple combat abilities.

Anything I'm missing?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »

Finally getting back to this project.

I've had a change of thought about the first class. I want to make it available at an earlier level (as early as 5, I think), make it 10 levels long and make it's abilities Tiered like a Defender or Wildlander.

I'll post the first draft soon
Doomed Hero

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »

Here's the first draft. I'll make it look pretty when I get back from class. Go ahead and start the analysis.

Paladin

Prerequisites
Diplomacy 6 ranks
Knowledge: History 6 ranks
Heal 5 ranks
Base Attack Bonus +4
Improved Unarmed Strike or any Martial Weapon proficiency.
Must be chosen and trained by the Herald, an ancient Celestial.

Hit Dice: D10
Base Attack: Paladins use the Fighter Base Attack progression
Saves: Paladins have Good Fortitude and Will Save Progression

Skills: Paladins gain 4+Int bonus skills per level. The following are Class skills for a Paladin: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal,  Knowledge: History, Knowledge: Spirits, Knowledge: Demons, Knowledge: Shadow, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive

Weapons and Armor: A Paladin gains proficiency with the Shepherd's Crook. No other armor or weapon proficiencies are gained, though the may spend Paladin Abilities to do so. (See below)

1st: Paladin Ability, Herald's Favor , Aura of Good 
2nd: Paladin Ability, Detect Shadow
3rd:  Aura of Courage
4th: Paladin Ability,
5th: Truthseeker
6th: Paladin Ability
7th: Herald's Charger or Herald's Wings
8th: Paladin Ability
9th: The True Way
10th: Paladin Ability

Herald's Favor
Upon becoming a Paladin, a small spark of the Herald's energy is placed within the Paladin to protect and aid them. This appears as a physical mark somewhere on the paladin's body shaped like a shepherd's crook. This mark is white, gold or blue in color, and varies greatly in size and placement from person to person. This favor grants the Paladin total immunity to all non-magical diseases. and allows a Paladin to recover from wounds at twice the natural rate.

Aura of Good
The Paladin gains an Aura of Good which is detectable by creatures with the ability to see such things. (See the Detect Evil spell)

Detect Shadow
This ability functions exactly like a standard Paladin's Detect Evil ability, except that it specifically detects creatures tainted by the Shadow's presence. This includes Demons, evil Spirits, Legates, and other truly pious or zealous creatures such as Orcs.

Aura of Courage
Allies within 10 feet gain a +4 Morale bonus to saves against Fear effects. This ability only functions while the Paladin is conscious.

Truthseeker
The Paladin gains a bonus to Sense Motive checks equal to their Paladin level.

Herald's Charger
The Paladin is gifted with the ability to summon a powerful mount.
The Paladin gains a Special Mount, exactly as listed in the Paladin section of the d20 SRD.   

Herald's Wings
The Paladin's connection with the Herald allows them to manifest a pair of glowing ethereal wings for short periods.
For a number of rounds equal to the Paladin's class level+ their Charisma modifier, they manifest wings, gain a Fly speed of 40 with Average maneuverability. These rounds do not have to be sequential. This is a Spell-Like ability with a casting time of one Swift action.

The True Way
This ability allows a Paladin to bring hope to the hopeless and to cause Izrador's followers to doubt their faith. This ability takes 10 minutes. At the end of that time, the Paladin makes a Diplomacy check. If the check is successful, the listeners begin to have doubts about the authority and power of Izrador, and begin believing that helping others is a way to relieve some of life's pain. The Paladin gains a +4 bonus to their Diplomacy check if they demonstrate some kind of helpful supernatural power (such as Remove Disease). This ability automatically fails if it is attempted against a character who receives power or authority directly from their connection to Izrador (such as Demons or Legates), but is able to be used against devout followers (such as Orcs.) Keep in mind that using Diplomacy against zealots is extremely difficult. This ability has no exact in game effect, and is dependent the GM's judgement and the circumstance in which it is used.

Tier 1 abilities

Armored
This ability grants proficiency with all types of  armor and shields

Smite Evil
A number of times per day equal to 1/2 the character's Paladin levels they may Use the Smite Evil ability, as described in the Players Handbook.

Lightbearer
A character with this ability may cast Light at will.

Divine Protection
When wearing Padded Armor or no armor, a Paladin gains a +2 bonus to their Armor Class.

Art of Magic
A Paladin may chose this ability to cause their Paladin levels to stack with Channeler levels to determine the highest level spell they can cast. This ability also grants a Paladin one additional SP per Paladin level.

Shepherd's Arm
This ability allows a Paladin to use their symbol of office, the Shepherd's Crook, more effectively in combat. When taking this ability a paladin may choose from the following additional skills: The Paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a Reach weapon (10 feet); the Paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a Double weapon; the Paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a One Handed weapon; the paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a defensive weapon (granting the benefits of a Large Wooden Shield). This ability may be taken more than once, and it's abilities stack.
Example: A paladin may take this ability as their 1st and 2nd level abilities and choose to be able to use a Shepherd's Crook as a one-handed weapon with a 10' reach.

Grey Harbinger
A Paladin with this ability is adept at staying unnoticed. Bluff, Disguise, Hide, Move Silently and Slight of Hand are added to their Class Skills. Paladins with this ability gain 2 additional skill points per level.

Tier 2 abilities

Shield Master
Prerequisites: Shield Proficiency. Any Tier 1 Ability
This ability grants a Paladin the benefits of the Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Shield Bash Feats when they are employing a Small or Medium shield.

Divine Grace
Prerequisites: any Tier 1 ability
This ability grants a bonus to Saves equal to the Paladin's Charisma modifier.

Disciple of the Lost Gods
Prerequisites: Art of Magic
The Paladin gains access to the Paladin spell list (as listed in the SRD) for determining which spells they are able to learn. Spells are learned as normal, but are only able to be learned at the minimum level required for a standard paladin to learn them.
Example: A standard paladin gains access to 5th level Paladin spells at 14th level. A Channeling Spellcaster must be at least 14th level to learn 5th level Paladin spells.

Lay on Hands
Prerequisites: Any Tier 1 ability
A character with this ability may heal wounds by touch. Each day they may heal a number of Hit Points worth of damage equal to their Paladin level x their Charisma bonus. They do not have to use this healing all at once, and may break it up as they see fit.
This healing is Positive Energy, and is capable of damaging undead an equal amount that it would heal a regular target. Using this ability in this fashion requires a Touch Attack.

Fervor
Prerequisites: Divine Protection
This ability grants a 5' bonus to their movement speed and grants them extra Attacks of Opportunity (per round) equal to their Paladin level.

Hammer of Righteousness
Prerequisites: Smite Evil
Any creature hit by a Paladin's Smite Evil ability must make a Will save (DC 10+ 1/2 the Paladin's character level + the Paladin's Charisma modifier) or be Stunned for 1 round.

Blessed Symbol
Prerequisites: Shepherd's Arm
When wielding a Shepherd's Crook as a weapon, it is effected by a Bless Weapon spell.

Tier 3 abilities

Light of Revelation
Prerequisites: Lightbearer
This ability grants a Paladin the ability to project a cone of light from their hand. This ability is usable for a number of rounds per day equal to the Paladin's Class level + their Charisma Modifier. These rounds do not have to be sequential. Activating this ability is a Swift action.
The cone is 40' long and 20 feet wide at it's furthest end. It bathes everything in it's effect in light as bright as daylight (1/2 illumination for 30 feet around the cone) and causes any creature in it's effected area to make a Save (DC equal to 10+ 1/2 the Paladin's character level+ the Paladin's Charisma modifier) or be Dazzled. Creatures vulnerable to Light or Holy damage take 1d6 points of damage each round they are in the effect.
In addition, this light causes any creature who is not in their true form (such as shapeshifters or those under the effects of an illusion spell) to make a Will Save (same DC as the Dazzling effect.) or be revealed in their true form. This save is required every round a creature is in the effected area of the light.

Intercept
Prerequisites: Any Tier 1 and Tier 2 ability
Any time an enemy's movement passes within 5 feet of a Paladin with this ability, the Paladin may take a 5' adjustment to interpose themselves in the way of their enemy. This causes an opposed roll identical to a Blocked Overrun. The moving enemy and the Paladin make opposed attack rolls. If the Paladin wins, the enemy is blocked and stopped in it's tracks. If the enemy wins, the Paladin is bumped back into their original square, and the enemy gets an Attack of Opportunity against the paladin. Using this ability counts as an Attack of Opportunity

Turn Undead
Prerequisites: Divine Grace
This ability allows a Paladin to Turn Undead as a Cleric equal to their Character level.

Spark of Divinity
Prerequisites: Disciple of the Lost Gods.
All channeled spells cast by the Paladin are now considered Divine in nature. The are no longer subject to Spell Failure from wearing armor and must pray to regain Spell Energy. Any spell which requires a Focus to cast may be cast using the Shepard's Crook as the Focus. A caster still learns spells according to their spell-casting tradition. When a Paladin with this ability runs out of SP, they use their Charisma (instead of their Constitution) to continue casting spells. Any SP draining effect, such as an Astirax or a Black Mirror, which would normally drain Constitution instead drains Charisma.

Cleanse
Prerequisites: Lay On Hands
This ability allows a Paladin remove the effects of Poisons, Diseases, Curses or Taint. To use this ability, the Paladin makes a Will save against the effect's original DC. If they succeed, the effect is removed (though it's damaging effects, such as attribute damage, may still be in effect.) This ability may be used a number of times per week equal to 1/2 the character's Paladin level. Using this ability is strenuous, and leaves a Paladin Fatigued.

Redoubt
Prerequisites: Shield Master
Any time a Paladin with this ability is missed in combat they may make an opposed attack roll (using their shield as a weapon). If the paladin rolls greater than their opponent's missed attack roll, they may knock their opponent back a distance equal to the Paladin's natural Reach. (for most characters this will be 5 feet). Using this ability counts as an Attack of Opportunity. This ability requires a shield to employ.

Tier 4 abilities

Brilliant
Prerequisites: Lightbearer, Light of Revelation
This ability allows a Paladin to shed an aura of light with a 30' radious that deals 1d8 damage to any creature in it's range with the Darkness descriptor or that is vulnerable to light. In addition, allies within the range of the light are effected by a Protection From Evil spell. This ability is usable at will and can be turned on and off as a move action.

Banishment
Prerequisites: Turn Undead
This ability allows a Paladin to Turn evil Outsiders, Spirits or creatures with the Shadow descriptor.

Hand of Justice
Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Lay On Hands, any Tier 3 ability
This ability allows a Paladin to channel their ability to heal with a touch into energy which greatly damages evil creatures. When active, this ability causes a Paladin's hands to become Holy weapons. (as the weapon enchantment) This ability lasts for one round, expends one point from the Paladin's Lay On Hands pool, and is a Swift action to activate.

Divine Channeling
Prerequisites: Art of Magic, and other Tier 2 and 3 ability.
A Paladin with this ability casts spells with the Good descriptor at +1 Caster Lavel. In addition a Paladin with this ability may choose to cause any damage dealing spell they cast to deal Holy damage instead of it's normal damage type.

Tier 5 abilities

Holy Sword
Prerequisites: 4 other Paladin abilities, one of which must be Tier 4.
Once per day, the Paladin may cast a Quickened Holy Sword on any weapon they are wielding, with a duration equal to the Paladin's class level. This is a Spell-Like ability.

Hallowed Presence
Prerequisites: Turn Undead, Banishment
This ability causes the Paladin to be the center of a permanent Hallow spell. This ability is unconscious on the part of the Paladin, but may be turned off by simply willing it. Suppressing the Aura in this fashion requires concentration on the part of the paladin, and is subject to Spell Failure rules (just like interrupted spell-casting.)  Should the Paladin fail a Concentration check while suppressing this ability, it immediately takes effect once more. (Hallow is a 5th level spell)

Graceful Presence
This ability grants a Paladin a 10' aura which grants all allies within it's effect a Enhancement bonus to Saves equal to the Paladin's Charisma modifier.

Empowered Symbol
Prerequisites: Shepherd's Arm, Blessed Symbol, Turn Undead
In the Paladin's hands, a Shepherd's Crook acts as a True Holy Symbol, which doubles all Turning damage. Also, the Paladin may spend a Turning Attempt to grant their Shepherd's Crook the Disruption ability for a number of rounds equal to their Charisma modifier. This ability only works while the Paladin is holding the Crook. Should it leave their hand for any reason the effect is canceled.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:12:17 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

I'm going to bump this.

I'd like to come back yo this project, but I don't want to do it without some feedback first.

Any thoughts?
smeagol

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »

It's nice, but how would they survive? I think putting them under the patronage of the last remaining "god" dragons would be a nice touch (think of them as "teachers" meant to insure the survival of "old ways" in the last age).

Just my 2 vp.

PS: sorry for the late answer (I have a busy work life,and try to preserve a personal life too).
Doomed Hero

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 08:11:58 PM »

No problem. Life gets in the way.

I'm not sure they really need more patronage than the Herald (a very powerful Solar), but I'd imagine that both the Witch Queen and the last of the good dragons would be quite interested in forming alliances.

This has the potential to be a big shift in the power balance of the world, but I'm thinking some kind of caveat  such as "the Herald is tied to the Castle and can't leave, and creatures of Izrador begin losing their connection to Him as they get closer" (or something like that) would maintain the integrity of the world and not shake things up too much.

Another thought is that the Herald is Bodiless. He is able to grant certain powers to his followers, but can't take direct action and is as yet undetectable. A big quest could be to find a suitable vessel.

Thoughts?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »

One  more thing. When I originally posted the class, I was hoping for some feedback on the abilities and maybe some suggestions for a few more (especially in the later tiers). I didn't get any the first time around, so this seems like a good opportunity to ask again.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Sholano
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »

Okay, so it's been a while since this was talked about, but you asked for thoughts and I have some.
The first one that comes to me is this. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's impossible to get the Tier 5 ability Empowered Symbol. The Paladin only gets six abilities over the course of their career, and this one requires four, one of which has two prereqs of its own (Turn Undead), making for a total of six. Did you maybe mean to only have Shepherd's Arm and Blessed Symbol as prereqs, since Turn Undead and Banishment are the prereqs for Hallowed Presence?
Secondly, I'm not sure I understand your Tier system. In the Defender/Wildlander systems (which I assume this was based on), each Tier of abilities required certain abilities from the Tier below, or multiple of several below. In this, you have a few abilities that don't follow this. As examples, Mount and Light of Revelation. Mount doesn't have any listed prereqs at all, which, for essentially a summon spell in Midnight, is kinda funky. Light of Revelation only requires one Tier 1 ability, Lightbearer. Is there some additional requirement for each Tier, like an appropriate level in Paladin, or...?
Third, are five Tiers really necessary? I mean, Defenders and Wildlanders only have three, and those are 20-level core classes.
More to come later, let's see what you think of this so far.

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »

More to come later, let's see what you think of this so far.
Here we go, in bullet-point form for my amusement.
  • Fairly obviously, there's nothing listed for level 7. Kinda rare for a PrC.
  • Holy Sword, as the top end ability of a minimum 14th level character? I mean, it's more powerful in Midnight than elsewhere, but I dunno. Maybe reserve that one as a Paladin Ability for the Legendary class and make it several times a day, or the ability to cause their crook to act as per holy sword for a number of rounds per day (cuts down on astiraxy doom)?
  • Grey Harbinger, First Tier. I would add Disguise to this, so's they can move around in cities and whatnot.
  • Art of Magic, First Tier. Not sure how, maybe a later Tier ability, but I think there should be extra Spell Points associated with this.
  • Detect Shadow. It's a pretty cool flavor idea, but why shouldn't they be able to detect evil in general? Are there things associated with Izrador that aren't evil, or was the idea to keep them from sensing things that are evil but not of Izrador?
  • I like the True Way, but it's a touch ambiguous on what exactly they do to activate it. Do they orate for ten minutes, just glow pretty-like, what?
  • The Tiering system intrigues me, but I think it could use a little tweaking. It has more layers than the other Tiers in Midnight, but they don't stack terribly well at the moment, and I can think of a couple different ways to shuffle that around. First, and most in keeping with what you've done so far, there's making the prerequisites exist properly. Second, I thought that maybe organizing the Paladins into Chapters would work nicely, with certain abilities available to certain Chapters (like with Channeler Traditions). This might make things too complicated, though, I'm not sure.
Once again, more later, but work calls.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »

Ok, finally got back to this. I've fixed the prereq's and made things make a bit more sense.

I'm about to start on the Legendary Class for this...  Cool
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:29:14 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 01:18:26 AM »

Current version, put here for ease of readers-

Paladin

Prerequisites
Heal 6 ranks
Diplomacy 5 ranks
Knowledge: History 5 ranks
Base Attack Bonus +5
Improved Unarmed Strike or any Martial Weapon proficiency.
Must be chosen and trained by the Herald, an ancient Celestial.

Hit Dice: D10
Base Attack: Paladins use the Fighter Base Attack progression
Saves: Paladins have Good Fortitude and Will Save Progression

Skills: Paladins gain 4+Int bonus skills per level. The following are Class skills for a Paladin: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal,  Knowledge: History, Knowledge: Spirits, Knowledge: Demons, Knowledge: Shadow, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive

Weapons and Armor: A Paladin gains proficiency with the Shepherd's Crook. No other armor or weapon proficiencies are gained, though the may spend Paladin Abilities to do so. (See below)

1st: Paladin Ability, Herald's Favor , Aura of Good 
2nd: Paladin Ability, Detect Shadow
3rd:  Aura of Courage
4th: Paladin Ability,
5th: Truthseeker
6th: Paladin Ability
7th: Herald's Charger or Herald's Wings
8th: Paladin Ability
9th: The True Way
10th: Paladin Ability

Herald's Favor
Upon becoming a Paladin, a small spark of the Herald's energy is placed within the Paladin to protect and aid them. This appears as a physical mark somewhere on the paladin's body shaped like a shepherd's crook. This mark is white, gold or blue in color, and varies greatly in size and placement from person to person. This favor grants the Paladin total immunity to all non-magical diseases. and allows a Paladin to recover from wounds at twice the natural rate.

Aura of Good
The Paladin gains an Aura of Good which is detectable by creatures with the ability to see such things. (See the Detect Evil spell)

Detect Shadow
This ability functions exactly like a standard Paladin's Detect Evil ability, except that it specifically detects creatures tainted by the Shadow's presence. This includes Demons, evil Spirits, Legates, and other truly pious or zealous creatures such as Orcs.

Aura of Courage
Allies within 10 feet gain a +4 Morale bonus to saves against Fear effects. This ability only functions while the Paladin is conscious.

Truthseeker
The Paladin gains a bonus to Sense Motive checks equal to their Paladin level.

Herald's Charger
The Paladin is gifted with the ability to summon a powerful mount.
The Paladin gains a Special Mount, exactly as listed in the Paladin section of the d20 SRD.   

Herald's Wings
The Paladin's connection with the Herald allows them to manifest a pair of glowing ethereal wings for short periods.
For a number of rounds equal to the Paladin's class level+ their Charisma modifier, they manifest wings, gain a Fly speed of 40 with Average maneuverability. These rounds do not have to be sequential. This is a Spell-Like ability with a casting time of one Swift action.

The True Way
This ability allows a Paladin to bring hope to the hopeless and to cause Izrador's followers to doubt their faith. This ability takes 10 minutes. At the end of that time, the Paladin makes a Diplomacy check. If the check is successful, the listeners begin to have doubts about the authority and power of Izrador, and begin believing that helping others is a way to relieve some of life's pain. The Paladin gains a +4 bonus to their Diplomacy check if they demonstrate some kind of helpful supernatural power (such as Remove Disease). This ability automatically fails if it is attempted against a character who receives power or authority directly from their connection to Izrador (such as Demons or Legates), but is able to be used against devout followers (such as Orcs.) Keep in mind that using Diplomacy against zealots is extremely difficult. This ability has no exact in game effect, and is dependent the GM's judgement and the circumstance in which it is used.

Tier 1 abilities

Armored
This ability grants proficiency with all types of  armor and shields

Smite Evil
A number of times per day equal to 1/2 the character's Paladin levels they may Use the Smite Evil ability, as described in the Players Handbook.

Lightbearer
A character with this ability may cast Light at will.

Divine Protection
When wearing Padded Armor or no armor, a Paladin gains an Armor Class bonus equal to 1/2 their Paladin level.

Art of Magic
A Paladin may chose this ability to cause their Paladin levels to stack with Channeler levels to determine the highest level spell they can cast. This ability also grants a Paladin one additional SP per Paladin level.

Shepherd's Arm
This ability allows a Paladin to use their symbol of office, the Shepherd's Crook, more effectively in combat. When taking this ability a paladin may choose from the following additional skills: The Paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a Reach weapon (10 feet); the Paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a Double weapon; the Paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a One Handed weapon; the paladin may use a Shepherd's Crook as a defensive weapon (granting the benefits of a Large Wooden Shield). This ability may be taken more than once, and it's abilities stack.
Example: A paladin may take this ability as their 1st and 2nd level abilities and choose to be able to use a Shepherd's Crook as a one-handed weapon with a 10' reach.

Grey Harbinger
A Paladin with this ability is adept at staying unnoticed. Bluff, Disguise, Hide, Move Silently and Slight of Hand are added to their Class Skills. Paladins with this ability gain 2 additional skill points per level.

Tier 2 abilities

Shield Master
Prerequisites: Shield Proficiency. Any other ability.
This ability grants a Paladin the benefits of the Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Shield Bash Feats when they are employing a Small or Medium shield.

Divine Grace
Prerequisites: any ability
This ability grants a bonus to Saves equal to the Paladin's Charisma modifier.

Disciple of the Lost Gods
Prerequisites: Art of Magic
The Paladin gains access to the Paladin spell list (as listed in the SRD) for determining which spells they are able to learn. Spells are learned as normal, but are only able to be learned at the minimum level required for a standard paladin to learn them.
Example: A standard paladin gains access to 5th level Paladin spells at 14th level. A Channeling Spellcaster must be at least 14th level to learn 5th level Paladin spells.

Lay on Hands
Prerequisites: Any Ability
A character with this ability may heal wounds by touch. Each day they may heal a number of Hit Points worth of damage equal to their Paladin level x their Charisma bonus. They do not have to use this healing all at once, and may break it up as they see fit.
This healing is Positive Energy, and is capable of damaging undead an equal amount that it would heal a regular target. Using this ability in this fashion requires a Touch Attack.

Fervor
Prerequisites: Divine Protection
This ability grants a 5' bonus to their movement speed and grants them extra Attacks of Opportunity (per round) equal to their Paladin level.

Hammer of Righteousness
Prerequisites: Smite Evil
Any creature hit by a Paladin's Smite Evil ability must make a Will save (DC 10+ 1/2 the Paladin's character level + the Paladin's Charisma modifier) or be Stunned for 1 round.

Blessed Symbol
Prerequisites: Shepherd's Arm
When wielding a Shepherd's Crook as a weapon, it is effected by a Bless Weapon spell.

Tier 3 abilities

Light of Revelation
Prerequisites: Lightbearer
This ability grants a Paladin the ability to project a cone of light from their hand. This ability is usable for a number of rounds per day equal to the Paladin's Class level + their Charisma Modifier. These rounds do not have to be sequential. Activating this ability is a Swift action.
The cone is 40' long and 20 feet wide at it's furthest end. It bathes everything in it's effect in light as bright as daylight (1/2 illumination for 30 feet around the cone) and causes any creature in it's effected area to make a Save (DC equal to 10+ 1/2 the Paladin's character level+ the Paladin's Charisma modifier) or be Dazzled. Creatures vulnerable to Light or Holy damage take 1d6 points of damage each round they are in the effect.
In addition, this light causes any creature who is not in their true form (such as shapeshifters or those under the effects of an illusion spell) to make a Will Save (same DC as the Dazzling effect.) or be revealed in their true form. This save is required every round a creature is in the effected area of the light.

Intercept
Prerequisites: Any 2 other abilities.
Any time an enemy's movement passes within 5 feet of a Paladin with this ability, the Paladin may take a 5' adjustment to interpose themselves in the way of their enemy. This causes an opposed roll identical to a Blocked Overrun. The moving enemy and the Paladin make opposed attack rolls. If the Paladin wins, the enemy is blocked and stopped in it's tracks. If the enemy wins, the Paladin is bumped back into their original square, and the enemy gets an Attack of Opportunity against the paladin. Using this ability counts as an Attack of Opportunity

Turn Undead
This ability allows a Paladin to Turn Undead as a Cleric equal to their Character level.

Spark of Divinity
Prerequisites: Disciple of the Lost Gods.
All channeled spells cast by the Paladin are now considered Divine in nature. The are no longer subject to Spell Failure from wearing armor and must pray to regain Spell Energy. Any spell which requires a Focus to cast may be cast using the Shepard's Crook as the Focus. A caster still learns spells according to their spell-casting tradition. When a Paladin with this ability runs out of SP, they use their Charisma (instead of their Constitution) to continue casting spells. Any SP draining effect, such as an Astirax or a Black Mirror, which would normally drain Constitution instead drains Charisma.

Cleanse
Prerequisites: Lay On Hands
This ability allows a Paladin remove the effects of Poisons, Diseases, Curses or Taint. To use this ability, the Paladin makes a Will save against the effect's original DC. If they succeed, the effect is removed (though it's damaging effects, such as attribute damage, may still be in effect.) This ability may be used a number of times per week equal to 1/2 the character's Paladin level. Using this ability is strenuous, and leaves a Paladin Fatigued.

Redoubt
Prerequisites: Shield Master
Any time a Paladin with this ability is missed in combat they may make an opposed attack roll (using their shield as a weapon). If the paladin rolls greater than their opponent's missed attack roll, they may knock their opponent back a distance equal to the Paladin's natural Reach. (for most characters this will be 5 feet). Using this ability counts as an Attack of Opportunity. This ability requires a shield to employ.

Tier 4 abilities

Brilliant
Prerequisites: Lightbearer, Light of Revelation
This ability allows a Paladin to shed an aura of light with a 30' radious that deals 1d8 damage to any creature in it's range with the Darkness descriptor or that is vulnerable to light. In addition, allies within the range of the light are effected by a Protection From Evil spell. This ability is usable at will and can be turned on and off as a move action.

Banishment
Prerequisites: Turn Undead
This ability allows a Paladin to Turn evil Outsiders, Spirits or creatures with the Shadow descriptor.

Hand of Justice
Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Lay On Hands, any other ability.
This ability allows a Paladin to channel their ability to heal with a touch into energy which greatly damages evil creatures. When active, this ability causes a Paladin's hands to become Holy weapons. (as the weapon enchantment) This ability lasts for one round, expends one point from the Paladin's Lay On Hands pool, and is a Swift action to activate.

Graceful Presence
Prerequisites: Divine Grace, any other ability.
This ability grants a Paladin a 10' aura which grants all allies within it's effect a Enhancement bonus to Saves equal to the Paladin's Charisma modifier.

Divine Channeling
Prerequisites: Art of Magic, and 2 other abilities.
A Paladin with this ability casts spells with the Good descriptor at +1 Caster Lavel. In addition a Paladin with this ability may choose to cause any damage dealing spell they cast to deal Holy damage instead of it's normal damage type.

Tier 5 abilities

Holy Sword
Prerequisites: 4 other Paladin abilities.
Once per day, the Paladin may cast a Quickened Holy Sword on any weapon they are wielding (including natural weapons), with a duration equal to the Paladin's class level. This is a Spell-Like ability.

Hallowed Presence
Prerequisites: Turn Undead, Banishment
This ability causes the Paladin to be the center of a permanent Hallow spell. This ability is unconscious on the part of the Paladin, but may be turned off by simply willing it. Suppressing the Aura in this fashion requires concentration on the part of the paladin, and is subject to Spell Failure rules (just like interrupted spell-casting.)  Should the Paladin fail a Concentration check while suppressing this ability, it immediately takes effect once more. (Hallow is a 5th level spell)

Empowered Symbol
Prerequisites: Shepherd's Arm, Blessed Symbol, Turn Undead
In the Paladin's hands, a Shepherd's Crook acts as a True Holy Symbol, which doubles all Turning damage. Also, the Paladin may spend a Turning Attempt to grant their Shepherd's Crook the Disruption ability for a number of rounds equal to their Charisma modifier. This ability only works while the Paladin is holding the Crook. Should it leave their hand for any reason the effect is canceled.

Divine Protection
Prerequisites: Divine Grace, any two other abilities.
The Paladin gains Mettle and Evasion. If They already have Evasion, they gain Improved Evasion. If they already have Mettle, even if they fail a Fort or Will save, any duration or damage effect is halved.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:59:54 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »

I'd totally do my P.A.s this way.
1)Smite Evil
2)Divine Grace
4)Hammer of Righteousness
6)Divine Protection
8)Holy Sword
10)Graceful Presence
Huh. Not a single Tier 3 in there.
Regardless, looks good to me. Maybe a touch OP, especially for something that can be qualified for so early, but since you have to get to and be accepted by the Herald first, that's probably okay.
God, if this is the watered-down-powered-by-a-Celestial version of a Midnight Paladin, when the Lost Gods were still around, they must've been freaking terrifying. Oy, think of the clerics!
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

Oh. Quick thought. Does the Shepherd's Crook retain the same stats as earlier in the thread? 'cause, while I know you hate the trip rules, other folks play by them, and you'll probably want to throw in a line about being able to make trip attempts with them. The "+4 to trip" bit implies that, but...
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Tome of Sorrows vol. III (Moderator: smeagol)  |  Topic: The Paladins Reborn
Jump to: