Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 10:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Before making a question, try using the search function, sometimes your doubt has already been answered before.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.2 [Character Generation]  (Read 32950 times)
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »

Hey Har, If it's cool I'm happy to take Nif's spot (see General Discussion Thread).  How does a port of Teliir sound?  (from: http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?page=172 )  I'll need to drop her a few levels, and modify to include your house rules, but it sounds like she should fit in.

Joe

EDIT: oh, and it's up to you if you want to include Drithil as an NPC or not...

Dunkin stats
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2008, 06:20:09 AM »

Porting Teliir sounds good.

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Pheros

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2008, 07:19:55 AM »

Teliir Silverbow
Female Erunsil
Class: Rogue 5
Heroic Path: Naturefriend
Hit Dice: 5d6+10
Hit Points: 30
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Def bonues, additional +1 vs traps)
D/R = 1/- (leather armor)
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Grapple: +3

Attacks:
Icewood Longbow, +7 ranged (d8+2, x3, 120 ft) +8/d8+3 inside 30 ft
Fighting Knife +5 melee (6+1, 19-20x3)

Saves:
Fort +4 (+5 vs cold)
Ref +7 (+1 vs traps)
Will +1

Feats: Magecraft (Hermetic), Point Blank Shot

Abilities: Str 12, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 10

Skills: Balance 7 (+4 trees), Climb 5 (+4 trees), Disable Device 6, Hide 16, Knowledge Veradeen 6 (+4 favored), Knowledge Nature 8 (+4 favored), Listen 10, Move Silently 16, Search 12, Spot 10, Survival 8, Tumble 11

Spells: Flare (spell-like ability), Guidance (spell-like ability), detect magic, detect poison, know direction, detect astirax
Spell Energy: 4
Cantrips/day: 5

Heroic Path abilities:  Natural Bond, Calm Animals 1/day, Entangle 1/day, Obscuring Mist 1/day, Animal Friend

Class abilities:  Sneak Attack +3d6, Trapfinding, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:  Icewood Longbow, Fighting Knife, Elven Traveling Winter Clothes (endure elements), Elven Traveling Boots (+5 Move Silently), Elven Traveling Cloak (+5 Hide), Leather Armor, Arrows (20), Silver-headed arrows (10), Hearthstone, Erethor tea (25 servings), Feather Necklace, 3 Greater Charms (+4 attack), 3 Greater Charms (+2 Reflex for 1 min)

Weight: 32.5 lbs

Background: Teliir grew up loving and respecting nature, and finds the blight of the astirax the greatest sin committed by the Shadow.  A prolific hunter of these creatures, she has devoted much of her life to finding and killing them, going so far as to have custom-made arrows tipped with silver.  She has left the tower in Veradeen she has called her home for most of her life to deliver reports of Shadow activity to Caradul, where she heard of a new mission that sounded particularly dangerous, always a good sign for one who hunts danger.  She decided to postpone her return to the tower and see where this mission took her.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »

Okay, Teliir looks good.

Those of you that haven't got characters submitted ... get on it so we can get a start.

I'm hoping to have the IC and OCC threads up by Monday.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »

I will also be putting up the Volunteer thread for everyone to post their characters.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »

Sorry it took me so long...

Shelg the Mongrel
Male Elfling, Small
Classes: Rogue 3/Fighter 2
Heroic Path: Shadow Walker
Hit Dice:  3d6 +2d10
Hit Points:  29
Initiative:  +5 (+5 DDEX)
Speed:  30 ft.
AC:  23 (10 +5 DEX +7 Class +1 size)
DR: 1/- (MW black studded leather)
Base Attack Bonus:  +5 (+4 Class +1 Size)
Grapple:  +1
Space/Reach:  5 ft./5 ft.

Attacks
Melee: +10
Vulture's Delight +10 (damage1d4+1, crit 19-20/x3)
Vulture's Delight +6/+2 (damage 1d4+1/1d4, crit 19-20/x3)
Dagger +10 (damage 1d3+1, crit 19-20/x2)
Stiletto +10 (damage 1d3+1, crit 19-20/x2) +2 vs. Heavy & Medium Armor

Ranged: +10
Composite Shortbow (+1 STR) +11 (damage 1d4+1, crit x3) RI 70'
Dagger +10 (damage 1d3+1, cirt 19-20/x2) RI 10’

Saves:
Fortitude:+6 (+4 class +1 CON +1 racial)
Reflex:+9 (+3 class +5 DEX+1 racial)
Will:+3 (+1 class +1 WIS +1 racial)

Special Qualities: Innate Magic: Ghost Sound, Lullaby, Favored Region: Central Erenland, Weapon Familiarity: Atharaks and Halfling Lances as martial weapons, Trapfinding, Trap sense +1, Evasion

Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +2d6

Feats: Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Fighting knife), Weapon Focus (Bows), Weapon Finesse

Abilities: Str:13 (+1), Dex:20 (+5), Con:10 (+0), Int: 14 (+2), Wis: 12 (+1), Cha: 10 (+0)

Skills:
Balance +7 (0 ranks + 5 DEX +2 synergy)
Bluff +5 (5 ranks + 0 CHA)
Climb+4 (1 ranks + 1 STR +2 racial)
Concentration+0 (+ 0 CON)
Diplomacy+2 (0 ranks + 0 CHA + 2 synergy)
Disable Device+8 (3 ranks + 2 INT +2 tools)
Disguise+3 (1 ranks + 0 CHA +2 synergy)
Escape Artist+6 (1 ranks + 5 DEX)
Gather Information+1 (1 ranks + 0 CHA)
Heal*+3 (0 ranks + 1 WIS + 2 racial)
Hide+21 (8 ranks + 5 DEX + 2 racial +4 Small + 2 Shadow Walker)
Intimidate +4 (2 ranks + 0 CHA + 2 synergy)
Jump+5 (2 ranks + 1 STR + 2 synergy)
Knowledge (central Erenland)+3 (1 ranks + 2 INT)
Knowledge (Erethor)+3 (1 ranks+ 2 INT)
Knowledge (Shadow)+7 (4 ranks+ 2 INT)
Listen+8 (5 ranks + 1 WIS +2 racial)
Move Silently+13 (8ranks + 5 DEX)
Open Lock+10 (3 ranks + 5 DEX +2 tools)
Search+9 (5 ranks + 2 INT +2 racial)
Slight of Hand+8 (1 ranks + 5 DEX +2 synergy)
Spot+8 (5 ranks + 1 WIS +2 racial)
Survival*+1/+3 (0 ranks + 1 WIS + 2 in plains)
Tumble+12 (7 ranks + 5 DEX)

Languages:
High Elven [2]
Halfling [2]
Patrol Sign [1]
Erenlander *
Trader’s Tongue [1]
Orcish [1]
Black Tongue [1]

Heroic Path (Shadow Walker):
1. Night Vision (Darkvision 60’)
2. Shadow Veil +2 (+2 Hide checks)
3. Expeditious retreat 1/day
4. Shadow Jump 10 ft.
5. Blur 1/day

Equipment:
Vulture's Delight
Studded Leather, MW (black) 10 lb.
Composite Shortbow (+1 STR) 1.5 lb.
Quiver Scabbard 1 lb.
     Arrows (14) 1.5 lb.
Dagger 0.5 lb.
Stiletto 0.5
Thieves’ Tools, MW 2 lb.
Dagger, folding (A small folding knife with a narrow wicked blade) [post#98, OoC]

Backpack 0.5 lb.
Winter Blanket 0.75 lb.
Bedroll  1.25 lb.
Whetstone 1 lb
Rations (2) 0.5 lb.
Waterskin 1 lb
Pouch of Normal Tea

True Charm: Hard to Remember (Will DC 15 vs. description)

Carried = 18
Backpack = 5 lb.

Carrying Capacity:
Light = 0 - 37 Medium = 38 - 75 Heavy = 65 – 112

Background: (this is only the part of the background AFTER "Under a Pale Gray Sky")

Shelg always new he was a tool. That didn’t bother him at first, or at least, he didn’t think it bothered him.

He was wrong. It took him some time to realize it.

A journey across half of Eredane to the Island of Asmadar in order to buy his way back into the good grace of the Order because of internal politics targeting his boss, Legate Theorin – who became an undead flaming-sword-wielding-legate in the process – but still managed to manipulate him and his companions every step of the way even when he was not around. Shelg had to admire him for that. Of course the double-crossing, constant distrust, and backstabbing didn’t help, although admittedly, Shelg’s hands were not clean from all that either.

The last straw was when he stumbled back from the Asmadarian desert after the scorpion incident that left him a sole survivor. More dead than alive he crawled back to G’Tul, thirst and hunger were his only companions on those days, but it was the woman’s voice that pushed him own – a comforting, strong voice telling him “It’s never too late… you can always come back.” It was a voice both familiar and strange at the same time. He heard it before when he was on death’s door, and another time when he let his mind wander from the moment.

During the delirium of his recuperation he saw a forest with glades, and rivers, and tree-top villages with laughter and sadness and determination; he also saw the Old Castle of his youth and the conquered villages and cities he has gone through with sounds of silent cries and sorrow and despair. Legate Theorin appeared in his dreams demanding he continue the search with threats and promises, and after several of these restless nights with Theorin invading his delirium induced dreams he was banished from the dream by the owner of the voice… the figure of a woman, but that is all Shelg could remember.

Shelg recovered eventually, but Red and the Clear Sky were already gone. He found passage on a pirate ship back to the mainland and once there, made his way east; for the first time traveling like the hunted.

He came upon the Danisil first; he let them find him wandering around their jungle. They didn’t trust him and he didn’t blame them, but they took him with them and he tried to earn their trust, even helping them kill a demon. That got him some grudging respect… but not friendliness.

But he could not stay with them. He had to go to Caradul, he had to give the books to the Witch Queen… he had to hear her voice. With a group of danisil druids (one of them like him, but of danisil-blood) he made his way to the elven capital. The journey was long, but he learned a lot about the elves, and Erethor, and himself:

He was more than just a tool, more than just an experiment.
He was Shelg and his past did not dictate his actions.
He was the lost mongrel that has returned home.
It is never too late…
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »

Stiletto +10 (damage 1d3+1, crit 19-20/x2) +2 vs. Heavy & Medium Armor

I really like this. Where is it from, Arnon?

Under the DR/ Defense system, shouldn't it ignore a couple points of DR from Medium and Heac=vy armor?

Just a thought.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
arnon

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »

I really like this. Where is it from, Arnon?

Under the DR/ Defense system, shouldn't it ignore a couple points of DR from Medium and Heac=vy armor?

Just a thought.

It's from Bastion Press Arms & Armor.

As for using it under DR rules... good point. Har, what do you think?
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »

I always like it when players come up with things.

Let's say it shaves 2 DR off of Medium and Heavy armor
arnon

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2008, 02:38:56 AM »

Let's say it shaves 2 DR off of Medium and Heavy armor

Noted. Thanks Smiley

By the way, as you might have noticed Harrowed, I did not touch Shelg's equipment leaving it as it was the last time. So unless you say otherwise i'll leave it as is.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2008, 03:56:13 AM »

Noted. Thanks Smiley

By the way, as you might have noticed Harrowed, I did not touch Shelg's equipment leaving it as it was the last time. So unless you say otherwise i'll leave it as is.

It looks fine.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

I was looking at a couple of the other characters who were in your first game and ran into a potential problem with my character's backstory.

I wrote Verador's backstory as if he had been through the CoS adventure, but a couple of the players actually were in your first CoS game. As it stands, my character has none of the ties to thiers that he should.

So my question is:

Should I re-write my background omitting the CoS stuff and figure out something else for Verador to have done to be worthy of being in the company of such a heroic group, or should we re-write the history of the 1st CoS game to simulate my character having been there?

Either way, I'd like to begin writing ties to the other players into the backstory. Especially Tellir. (Pheros, any ideas?)
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2008, 11:31:48 PM »

Were ...

Okay, maybe I'm reading what your typing wrong but I never ran CoS on the boards. I did allow players with this PbP to take characters that 'went' through CoS. To give the adventure a sense of unity and connection. For those character that 'did' CoS together there should be somekind of background connection.

Hell, you travel across Erenland in that kind of situation it merits a familiarity.
Pheros

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »

Hero:  I'd be happy to organize backstory content with you.  I imagine it wasn't impossible our characters would be stationed at the same fort on the Northern Front, and fought together for many years before you left with Bayal on CoS.  Shoot me a PM and we can work out the Fort's name, common NPCs, etc.  My character is based on an NPC I created for the board content that can be found here:  Teliir NPC.  That may help you get a feel of the character I think Teliir will be. 

Joe
Doomed Hero

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2008, 03:28:37 AM »

Okay, maybe I'm reading what your typing wrong but I never ran CoS on the boards.

Ah...
Yeah, my misunderstanding. Based on what I was reading and how familiar many of the others seemed, I guess I jumped to that conclusion.

That makes things easy then.

If we're all new to this storyline, but are supposed to have trecked across the continant togeather, we should probably start coming up with the "what do our characters think of each other" stuff and maybe some memorable moments. Maybe a round of PMing, as Pheros suggested.

Fun!

samwise7
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1

Just when you thought it was safe to smile...

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »

My character wasn't a part of the Crown of Shadow, and is instead answering the call for volunteers for this adventure.  I've been in Caradul for a short time.

I'm not sure if you can weave our backgrounds together, since I'm relatively new on the scene.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://samwise7.yolasite.com  (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, etc.)
Pheros

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »

Hero:  Yeah, although most of us know Crown of Shadow, it's only through having run it or played it ourselves with different groups.  I get the impression your character is the only one to have taken part in the storyline of the original...the rest of your group probably dispersed to their homelands, or died...

arnon

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »

I'm looking for a "nickname" for my character Shelg.

In his youth, he was called "Mongrel" by the orcs and halflings (surprisingly) in the castle where he grew up. It was supposed to be a derogatory name, but Shelg wore it like a badge, taking strength from it.

Now, he left the Shadow service, returning to his roots... or at least trying too. He hasn't been long among the elves, but an Elfling who was trained by the Shadow to be an assassin with the horned symbol of Izrador tattooed on his arm is not easily trusted...

How would the elves (or any other race actually) call him?
Pheros

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »

Shelg the Shade, prehaps?  Not completely trustable, but stealthy and good at what he does...
Doomed Hero

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

I get the impression your character is the only one to have taken part in the storyline of the original...the rest of your group probably dispersed to their homelands, or died...

I'm fine with that, but if anyone else wants their character to have been through the trek with me, that would be great. It would be nice to start with some solid character ties. (Pheros, I'll send you a note about that soon. I've got some ideas.) As it stands, being possibly the only survivor of that adventure would probably make Verador a fairly prominent figure in recent events and lore. (Bringing the secret of Mithril, and bearing a Cloak of the Lady would not allow him much anonymity.) I don't mind being hit with the Plot-stick like that, but I don't want to steal the limelight or overshadow anyone else.

Arnon: I was looking over Shelg, and I love the concept you've created. Would you mind if I used him as an NPC in my game? He'd be extremely appropriate for an upcoming plotline.

arnon

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »

Arnon: I was looking over Shelg, and I love the concept you've created. Would you mind if I used him as an NPC in my game? He'd be extremely appropriate for an upcoming plotline.

Go right ahead, i'd be honored Smiley

Just let me now later how it went Wink
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2008, 03:24:28 AM »

How would the elves (or any other race actually) call him?

Shelg the Traitor

Nasty ... but my take on it is that the Elves don't trust you a lot. One of the Avatars vouching for you is likely all that is keeping your character alive in Caradul. The Jungles are one thing, the Danasil are much more practical. Sometimes you've got to get along to get along, so to speak.

But Caradul ... a different breed of cat.

Oh, and expect the IC and OOC to go up on Friday.

Work is just killing me this week.
arnon

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »

Shelg the Traitor

Nasty ... but my take on it is that the Elves don't trust you a lot. One of the Avatars vouching for you is likely all that is keeping your character alive in Caradul. The Jungles are one thing, the Danasil are much more practical. Sometimes you've got to get along to get along, so to speak.

But Caradul ... a different breed of cat.

I agree... nasty!

But i like it. twisted

I'll go change it in the Volunteer Roll.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »

Hey Har,

Arnon and I were talking abut ways to tie folks together. What do think of the Danisil Avatar vouching for Shelg being the same elf who headed Verador's training in the jungles?

Verador probably wouldn't know Shelg, but would be more inclined to trust him once he found out his former mentor was vouching for him. Shelg might have heard of Verador as a former pupil of the Avatar.

What say you?
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »

Hey Har,

Arnon and I were talking abut ways to tie folks together. What do think of the Danisil Avatar vouching for Shelg being the same elf who headed Verador's training in the jungles?

Verador probably wouldn't know Shelg, but would be more inclined to trust him once he found out his former mentor was vouching for him. Shelg might have heard of Verador as a former pupil of the Avatar.

What say you?

Yeah, I like that idea. It would give your PC a reason to trust him, a lack of any trust at all could be a problem. This would allow for at least a low level of trust.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.2 [Character Generation]
Jump to: