Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 11:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Our site is made by the fans for the fans. Support the Midnight community and register yourself today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.2 [Character Generation]  (Read 32951 times)
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?topic=764.0

The feats in question are:
Simple enough.

Seem fine to me.

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »

Most of my character is done, but I have some finishing touches to complete like equipment.

I have Murwick on an excel D&D character sheet, but I can make a PDF of it, if you can't view excel.

If you want the character sheet, PM me your email Harrowed and I will send it over.

Thanks.

Excel is fine ... hmm ... I use Open Office so we'll see if the finky bits come over all right.

Kevin.Empey[Use the At Symbol in place of this anti-spam device]Gmail.com
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »

Ah, and some of the information regarding Torn Asunder. This was compiled by Arnon, so thanks to him, he uses it in his tabletop game. Don't worry about the potential complexity, I handle the rolls for the Crits on my end. If anyone wants more details I can provide them, there are a few feats in the book as well that allow character to capitalize on Crits. It makes combat more deadly and increases the usefullness of the Heal skill, and the Concentration skill.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Critical Hit: Torn Asunder
Abstract

If you have not yet downloaded Torn Asunder: Critical Hits, I'm going to give you a quick and dirty lesson in it. Just so you'd have an idea what's waiting for you… (queue in closed-mouth-evil-laugh)

Critical Hits are determined as normal. You need to roll within your weapons threat range and hit, or a natural 20 which is an automatic hit and a critical hit. Now you have to remember how many points above your opponents Defense you scored, or rather I'll tell you. This is the "effect factor level" of the critical which tells you the severity of the hit (mild, moderate, serious), but you still need to confirm the critical as normal by rolling a second die and seeing if you hit.

Once confirmed see what the Effect Factor is. For example, at level one with a +1 BaB and no strength modifier you rolled a 19 with a longsword and confirmed the critical. That’s 20 in total. Now we check the factor of the critical hit, which is simply the total of your roll minus the opponents Defense. If the Defense was 14, the critical hit is 5 more than the Defense and the hit scores Mild severity. 10 above the defense is Moderate, and 15 above the defense is Serious.

Once we confirm that it is indeed a critical hit and what severity the hit is, we roll a die to see where we hit (unless it was a Called Shot… later on that). And check whether your weapon is Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning.

Here is an example:

Arm – mild
Effect: The victim suffers a -2 penalty to all attacks and Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Open Locks, Slight of Hands, and Use Rope skill checks involving that arm.
Bludgeoning: Bruised: The upper arm is deeply bruised.
Piercing: Stabbed: The upper arm has been pierced.
Slashing: Cut: The upper arm has been sliced.

Arm – moderate
Effect: The victim suffers a -8 penalty to all attacks and Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Open Locks, Slight of Hands, and Use Rope skill checks involving that arm. Victim must roll a Strength check (DC 17) each round or lose any held item, shield or weapon.
Bludgeoning: Broken: A bone has been broken.
Piercing: Pierced: A joint has been severely punctured.
Slashing: Digit(s) severed: Victim loses 1d4 fingers.

Arm – serious
Effect: The victim must roll a Constitution check (DC 20) or go into shock and suffer an additional hit point loss equal to the base damage of the weapon used to cause the injury.
Bludgeoning: Crushed: Multiple bones are broken, hand is now lame and completely useless.
Piercing: Impaled: The hand is torn open and is now completely useless.
Slashing: Severed: The hand has been severed from the arm.

See, it's not so bad…

Called Shots

You may perform called shots. You need to chose a body part or area you want to hit, and I'll tell you how much to subtract from your attack roll (-5 for arm or leg, -8 for head, etc.), unless the target is moving a lot then it is a bit higher (+3 I think).

Unless you have the Weapon Focus feat for the weapon you use, you'll need to roll a Concentration check (DC 12), again, unless target is moving which increases the DC.

Only one Called Shot per round.

You'll be attacked by opponents who can attack you other than your target.

… I think that's it. I might have forgot something. Damage done is only 1/4 (if I remember correctly), but all you have to do is inflict one point of damage… and your Called Shot is considered a Critical Hit with a Moderate severity.

Cool huh…

You can also do things like Hamstring, Disarm, and such…

Fumble

Yes, there'll be fumbles. To counter a fumble (natural 1) you'll need to roll a Dexterity check (DC 12 if memory serves). If you fail then you roll again on a table in the book to see what happens.

(I keep having evil smiles while writing this)

Healing

The Heal skill is very useful now. Really it is.

If your Heal skill is high enough you might try to Stabilize, and give Short-tern care to your friends AND give them some Hit Points back. All you have to do is say by which factor you'll succeed at the task, by +5, +10, +15. I you fail you still do the basic stuff, but not the extra hit points.

You might remember some broken/crushed bones and such stuff from the critical hits. There are also rules to help heal those, which might take some time. Meaning that a lucky/unlucky critical hit might subject the character to a week or more of limping, useless arm, etc..

Healing Spells help the healing process immensely.[/i]
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »

Oh, man. We're so dead Smiley
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »

Oh, man. We're so dead Smiley

That's the spirit, accept your fate. Remember the Fell don't suffer Crit's. So maybe, when you die, you'll get lucky.
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1

Just when you thought it was safe to smile...

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »

So keep that in mind on your character sheets, I've seen a couple with AC factored in. Remember that we're using the Defense Bonus rules, which can be found here ... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm and the DR rules ... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm#armorDamageReductionValues

I'll head off the obvious question regard to Defense rules. Channelers count as Column B. Wildlanders as Column B

What do I do if I have 3 levels of Defender and 2 levels of Wildlander in regards to Defense Bonus?

Here is what I have so far:
10 + the following
Dexterity bonus: +3
Armor bonus: none
Shield bonus: none
Natural Armor bonus: +1
Defender AC Bonus (Dodge?): +3  (I have an additional +1 from the Defender Dodge Training ability)
Size bonus: +1

So normally I have an 18 AC without armor
What would this increase to with the Defense Bonus rule as a Def3/Wild2 ?

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://samwise7.yolasite.com  (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, etc.)
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Quote from: SRD
For a multiclass character, use the highest defense bonus of those offered by the character’s classes. For example, a 2nd-level barbarian has a defense bonus of +4. If the character gains a level of cleric (becoming a 2nd-level barbarian/1st-level cleric), her defense bonus increases to +7, because the cleric’s +7 at 3rd character level is better than the barbarian’s +5 at 3rd character level.

If I read it right, then you check the level 5 row and you the highest of the two columns.

3 levels of Defender and 2 levels of Wildlander

So...  5th lvl Wildlander is +4 defense (column B)
and.. 5th lvl Defender is +3 (column A - i assume as the defender is not really proficient in any armor other than padded)

So you use the highest: +4 to defense.

A question to Harrowed: The link to the armor as DR notes that you gain also a bonus to Defense (AC). Do we?
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »

So 18 + 4 = 22 Defense Bonus?

Seems kind of high, but maybe that is how it is supposed to be.

I won't be wearing any armor to give me damage reduction.

Harrowed I sent the character sheet to your email address.
kilgore
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »

I have been watching this from the wings, for a bit and thought i'd at least ask if there was any room for one more?

"concealed among the evil spirits one kindly creature, Hope, whose mission was to heal the wounds inflicted by her fellow prisoners"

The Legand of Pandora
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »

There should be, kilgore. As we discussed, Har, I'm bowig out of this 'un before she gets started. After playing M&M for so long, D&D is too crunchy for me Smiley
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »

If I read it right, then you check the level 5 row and you the highest of the two columns.

So...  5th lvl Wildlander is +4 defense (column B)
and.. 5th lvl Defender is +3 (column A - i assume as the defender is not really proficient in any armor other than padded)

So you use the highest: +4 to defense.

Close, I count the Defender as Column B. So it still works out as +4.

A question to Harrowed: The link to the armor as DR notes that you gain also a bonus to Defense (AC). Do we?

Grrr, should have covered that. No, you do not. Armor provides DR but no Defense bonus.

The character's Defense keep you from getting hit. The DR keeps the pain down.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »

I have been watching this from the wings, for a bit and thought i'd at least ask if there was any room for one more?

Yep, we've got room. We're waiting on a couple of more characters. Olli, Nif, etc...

Then we'll get started.
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

Guess I have a Defense Bonus of 22 then.

Then my character is done... I think.
arnon

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »

Just to let you all know, I'll be continuing with Shelg the Mongrel (my Elfling, rogue/fighter shadow-walker) from Harrowed's previous PbP "Under a Pale Gray Sky".

Obviously he has changed sides....

... or has he....

So, are we having a rogue's gallery?
kilgore
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 10:04:42 AM »

Alright I'm in Smiley i have a few thoughts on a character so will work on it and get something up asap.
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »

I'm still not quite sure I get how the defense system works.

My character is wearing studded leather and has a 20 dex. Normally that's an 18 armor class. From what I understand, with the new system my character has a base AC of 15 and a DR 3. The AC is boosted by level, but I have 3 classes (Wildlander 2, Channeler 2, Fighter 1.) What is my extra AC bonus?

Harrowed, one more question. There is an item from Oriental Adventures called Dastana, which are basically reinforced parrying gloves and arm guards. They grant a +1 shield bonus to AC and can only be attached to padded or leather armor. I know they aren't on any Midnight equipment list, but they seemed appropriate for a Snow Elf knife fighter. What do you think?

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »

Erunsil should really use the stag horn... Wink

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
arnon

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 02:00:05 AM »

My character is wearing studded leather and has a 20 dex. Normally that's an 18 armor class. From what I understand, with the new system my character has a base AC of 15 and a DR 3. The AC is boosted by level, but I have 3 classes (Wildlander 2, Channeler 2, Fighter 1.) What is my extra AC bonus?

If my calculations are correct, then your defense is 22, and your DR will be 1.

The more I look at this system the more it seems a bit screwy to me, especially when dealing with multiclass characters. According to it, in regular D&D a multiclassed Wizard/Fighter would always get the Fighter's Defense bonus, even if he only has one Fighter level.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »

I'm still not quite sure I get how the defense system works.

Base Defense of 10
Fighter 1 has the highest bonus ... +6
Dex bonus of +5

Defense of 21
DR of 1

Harrowed, one more question. There is an item from Oriental Adventures called Dastana, which are basically reinforced parrying gloves and arm guards. They grant a +1 shield bonus to AC and can only be attached to padded or leather armor. I know they aren't on any Midnight equipment list, but they seemed appropriate for a Snow Elf knife fighter. What do you think?

Hmm, let's go with no. We've got enough issues getting the defense bonus shaking out. Which is kind of surprising, it's always gone quickly on tabletop.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »

The more I look at this system the more it seems a bit screwy to me, especially when dealing with multiclass characters. According to it, in regular D&D a multiclassed Wizard/Fighter would always get the Fighter's Defense bonus, even if he only has one Fighter level.

He would get it until his wizard level exceeded his fighter level.

You are right though, that is an issue with the system. It's like players who take one level in fighter just for the extra feat, etc... . That's just gaming the rules ... so to speak.

Min/Max doesn't get you very far ... especially in Midnight.

Now since people seem to have issues with the Defense we can just scrap it, and the DR, or one or the other. I've got no problem running just regular D20. I've just would these variants would quite well.
arnon

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:36 AM »

He would get it until his wizard level exceeded his fighter level.

That's how I'd rule it.

Now since people seem to have issues with the Defense we can just scrap it, and the DR, or one or the other. I've got no problem running just regular D20. I've just would these variants would quite well.

I'd take Defense and armor as DR any day over AC. Smiley
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

Hmm, let's go with no.

Ok.

Thanks for the help figuring out the defense stuff.
kilgore
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2008, 04:39:46 AM »

sorry about this but I'm going to have to drop out i thought i would have time to commit to this game, but real life is already getting in the way.

arnon

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2008, 04:47:09 AM »

ahhh... that too bad kilgore Sad
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17:10 AM »

sorry about this but I'm going to have to drop out i thought i would have time to commit to this game, but real life is already getting in the way.

No problem.

Better now then when we get started.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.2 [Character Generation]
Jump to: