Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:34:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you liked something, say so, if you think it can be bettered, say so, commenting on threads and giving ideas for the site are always welcome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.2 [Character Generation]  (Read 32849 times)
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« on: January 10, 2008, 08:22:02 AM »

"Like one, that on a lonesome road
doth walk in fear and dread,
and having once turned round, walks on,
and turns no more his head;
because he knows a frightful fiend
doth close behind him tread."

- Coleridge, "The Ancient Mariner"

Situation at game start

It's the year 99 of the Last Age. All of the characters are working for, or with, the Caradul government. The circumstances are up to the players. Voluntary or reluctant, your choice. The call has gone out for volunteers for an important mission, great rewards are offered.

Never a good sign.

The game will be starting in Caradul.

Character Creation Rules

Starting Level - 5th
Stats - 32 Points
Allowed Sources - The range of Midnight books plus the TOS. Anything else must be cleared past me, I'm welcome to hear ideas that you might have.
Allowed Races - Just about anything. No Orcs, for obvious reasons. Dworg are allowed, but can be expected to be treated accordingly.
Starting gear - 1,200 GP worth.

Players will have the choice of building characters that were part of the original CoS. This will allow them access to perks and problems that were relate to that adventure. No ... I won' be telling ahead of time. Blind leap, so to speak.

House Rules for this game

Bastion Press's Torn Asunder For those unfamiliar with the book it contains rules on critical hits, critical effects, blood loss and healing (Short and Long Term). A post will be put up detailing some of these to assist in character generation.

Armor as Damage Reduction

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Defense Bonus in Place of AC

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

Posting Requirements

I'm looking to create more of a storytelling game so I'm looking for players that are willing to put some "prose" into their posts. Also posters with some time available to post at least once every 3 - 4 days.

PbP rules on posting in language by color are going to be used. They can be found as a sticky at the top of the Play by Post forum.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:37:22 PM by Harrowed » Logged

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:32 AM »

Quick question, Har:

Would you allow the Knight class? If you think it's a tad overpowered, I'd be happy to reduce the hit die from d12 to d10.

Hmmm, let's give it a shot. D10 please.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »

Do you have any race restrictions?  Do you want the party to be mainly human or would an elven party work?  I know Nif has a Dansil already thought up but from your description of CotS2 it sounds more like a human centric adventure.

Kane

I'm pretty much open to anything except Orcs. The area of Caradul is teeming with refugees so all kinds of possibilites are open.
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »

Harrowed,

How do you want to figure HP?  Should we just live the HP field blank and let you fill it in, take avg (rounded up) per Hit Die or some other method?

Kane
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »

Harrowed,

How do you want to figure HP?  Should we just live the HP field blank and let you fill it in, take avg (rounded up) per Hit Die or some other method?

Kane

Sorry, I forgot about that. I did last time too ... hmm.

Max HP for first level, then you can either roll for each level or take the average. Your choice, and you can roll it.
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »

Just dropping off my concept so we can start forming party-related notions:

Iman Azwari (male Sarcosan; Blessed; Knight 5)

The last of a long line of warriors who dwelt in the castle of Ushachar in the foothills of the Kaladruns, traditional guardians of the eastern flank of the kingdom, Iman Azwari was instilled from birth with the virtues of courage, duty and honour. The Azwaris had been sussars in their own right, until betrayed by a lower-caste leader  (Sharu Danku) who usurped control of their freerider band, driving them back to the ruins of their ancestral home. This band is the same one the party encountered in Chapter 5 of Crown of Shadows, and they robbed the heroes at lance-point, taking a 'tithe' of their supplies. Iman, tracking the freeriders himself and deploring their fall into banditry encountered the party, and helped them raid Danku's camp to retrieve what was stolen. Impressed with their strength and the clarity of their goal, he swore himself to join the quest to bring mithral to the distant elven lands.

Iman eschews the light armour and nimble weapons of most Sarcosans for the reliability and honour of ancestral steel; his family heirloom armour and a double-handed sword or sword and shield. His honour and loyalty to his allies makes him a shining beacon of strength, shielding them from fear and harm.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:42:35 PM by Dirigible » Logged
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

Man, I must have missed he thread where this started. Is it too late to ask to be added to the group?

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 07:45:50 PM »

Armor bonus does not apply to armor class, however wearing armor grants a base damage reduction equal to the armor bonus. This Base DR applies to physical damage inflicted by weapon, device, natural attack, etc ...

Isn't that a little much? The UA rules suggest about half that: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Also, would the Armour Focus / Shield focus feats from my big feat list be available?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:48:46 PM by Dirigible » Logged
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1

Just when you thought it was safe to smile...

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »

I am going to stick with a Dwarrow Defender with the Healing Heroic Path, but I think I will take a few levels in Wildlander as well, mainly for Healing as a class skill, but there are some other cool things with that class.  Being able to take 10 on a healing check, sounds good for the party (it's one of the wildlander traits).  Smiley

I know weapons and armor are illegal, but I've always wondered what level of armor is "allowed."  Is leather allowed, or is that still illegal?  I think it's probably illegal.

I'm debating about not having armor.

Also, are we starting with covenant items?  Just wondering.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://samwise7.yolasite.com  (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, etc.)
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 04:51:26 AM »

I just had an idea... how about "porting" Shelg over?
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:13:41 AM »

Man, I must have missed he thread where this started. Is it too late to ask to be added to the group?

Nope, it's not too late. Welcome on board.
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 07:15:11 AM »

Can someone post the ceduku stats?  I need to finish up my character sheet and I don't have my books with me.  Thank you.

Kane
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 07:16:18 AM »

Isn't that a little much? The UA rules suggest about half that: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Also, would the Armour Focus / Shield focus feats from my big feat list be available?

I've found that it works pretty good. It does tend to make people in heavy armor rather like tanks, but that's about the way it worked.

Link me the feat and I'll look them over.
arnon

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »

Can someone post the ceduku stats?  I need to finish up my character sheet and I don't have my books with me.  Thank you.

15 vp 1d6, 19-20/x2 3lb. Slashing
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 07:23:07 AM »

Kane

1d6 damage, 19-20/x2 damage, 3lb [Slashing]
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:24:39 AM »

I just had an idea... how about "porting" Shelg over?

With level adjustment, sure. Oh, and a slight attitude adjustment from behind Theorin's Enforcer ... of course.
arnon

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »

With level adjustment, sure. Oh, and a slight attitude adjustment from behind Theorin's Enforcer ... of course.

Of course.... damn, now i have to choose: a dwarf wildlander who hears voices or an elfling rogue/fighter who left the Shadow's service....
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 07:34:15 AM »

I'll be posting an Erenlander, Pureblood Rogue 3/Wildlander 2 this morning.  I found the cedeku stats.

Kane
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 07:51:05 AM »

Of course.... damn, now i have to choose: a dwarf wildlander who hears voices or an elfling rogue/fighter who left the Shadow's service....

"Why did I stop working for the Shadow? Man, you think that your boss is bad, your boss is nothing. Mine carried a flaming sword that he used for demotions."

"No, I'm not kidding."
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »

Not as fancy as Dirigible's (no picture), but here's my character.  I used the format from a previous PbP.

Kane

Avren
Male Erenlander
Class
: Rogue 3/Wildlander 2
Heroic Path: Pureblood
Hit Dice: 3d6 +2d8 +10
Hit Points: 36
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dexterity, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 19 (+4 Chain Shirt, +4 Dex, +1 Two Weapon Defense)
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Grapple: +6
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.

Attacks:
Composite longbow +8 ranged (1d6+2, 110 ft.)
Cedeku +6 melee (1d6+2, 5 ft.)

Special Qualities: Blood of Kings +2, Evasion, Favored Region: Central Erenland, Master Adventurer, Master Hunter – Orc, Skill Mastery – Hide, Track, Trap Sense +1, Trapfinding, Weapon Familiarity: Cedeku, Woodland Stride

Saves:
Fort +6 (+4 class, +2 Constitution)
Ref +7 (+3 class, +4 Dexterity)
Will +1 (+1 class)

Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Inconspicuous (+2 Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Sense Motive vs. Shadow), Two Weapon Defense, Two Weapon Fighting

Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14

Skills: Balance 11, Bluff (*) 11, Climb 5, Craft (Bowyer) 4, Diplomacy 8, Hide (*) 12, Intimidate 9, Jump 7, Listen 5, Move Silently (*) 12, Search 6, Spot 5, Survival 3, Tumble 11
•   Master Adventurer Skills all +2

Check Penalty: 0 – -2
Chain Shirt -2

Background: Avren was born in the slave pens of Erenhead, never knowing his mother or father.  From an early age he had to fend for himself and use his wits to avoid the lash of the overseers.  Through hard labor and watching friends die of malnutrition and overwork, Avren learned how to appear to be a loyal servant, while all the time plotting how to kill the orcs and legates who grew fat on his labors.  As the Shadow prepared for its great offensive against the fey, Avren knew he had to escape the city.  On a night of the new moon, he killed a Sarcosan mercenary, stole his gear, and slipped over the walls.  For the past year he has slowly worked his way west seeking those who would stand against the Shadow.

Personaliy: Avren is a young man who has learned to hide his true emotions.  He wears whatever face will ensure his survival or further his goals.  Surprisingly he has found that people will follow his lead and listen when he provides his opinions.  People look to him for leadership but Avren feels unworthy; he hasn’t proven himself and does not want to be responsible for the lives of others.

Description: Tall for an Erenlander, many suspect one of his parents must have been a Dorn.  His naturally brown hair has bleached almost blond from his years working and living in the open.  Avren is carefully chosen his attire so he quickly hide his weapons and merge with the farmers or slaves that move west to feed the Fey Killer’s army.

Olli
Disembodied Spirits

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 09:38:09 AM »

i will go for a hermetic channeler, cause the midnight-system intrigues me.
i will post the concept today evening or tomorrow (as time permits)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »

Nope, it's not too late. Welcome on board.

Thank you!

In that case, here's my concept. I made him as thorough as possible, but I added a Covenant item (as per the end of CoS). Feel free to nix it, but I really like the idea as part of the character. If you don't like it, I'll keep the items and jjust make them standard masterwork knives.

Verador the Winter Wolf
Steelblooded Erunsil Wildlander 2/ Channeler 2/ Fighter 1
(will take Druid next level and eventually Snow Witch)

Verador is as close to an iconic Erunsil warrior as you are likely to meet. He is pale as snow, with grey, stormy eyes. He wears dark leathers and a pale cloak. At his side is a massive white wolf and a snowy eagle rests on his shoulder. He is grim, stoic and on the surface seems as heartless and cold as winter itself, but those who get to know him realize that he is loyal and unwavering in his devotion to his allies and beneath his icy exterior lies the heart of a hero.

Hit Dice: 3d10=+2d6+5
HP: 40
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 18 (Masterwork Studded Leather)
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Grapple: +6
Space/Reach: 5'/5'
Spell Energy: 7

Attacks: (offensive tactics grants either a +1 bonus to attack or damage. Announced before each attack round)

Masterwork Icewood Composite Longbow: +11 ranged, d8+2, crit x3, 110 ft. (some arrows are poisoned)
Ice and Rain: +10 (+10/+10) d6+3, crit x2 (Covenant Snow Elf Fighting Knives, see Equipment for details) (often poisons his blades)

Special Qualities: Offensive Tactics +1, Strategic Blow (DR 3), Skilled Warrior (two weapon fighting), Art Of Magic, Summon Familiar, Elf Qualities

Saves:
Fort: +7
Ref: +5
Will: +5

Feats: Innate Magic, Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Snow Elf Fighting Knives) Weapon Specialization (Snow Elf Fighting Knives), Magecraft, Spellcasting (Lesser Conjuration), Spellcasting (Transmutation),

Known Spells:
Innate: Light, Detect Magic
(0) Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Cure Minor Wounds, Create Water, Mage Hand, Mending,
1st: Cure Light Wounds, Obscuring Mist, Entangle, Feather Fall, Magic Fang, Animate Rope
2nd: Alter Self, Cat's Grace, Spider Climb, Fog Cloud, Web, Delay Poison, Lesser Restoration
3rd: Neutralize Poison, Fly, Gaseous Form, Haste

Abilities: (33 points, 32+1 for 4th level) Str 12, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 7

Skills: (58 points, racial, attribute and equipment modifiers figured in) Hide +15, Move Silently +15, Survival +10, Craft: Poison +12, Craft: Fletcher/Boyer +8, Tumble +14, Spellcraft +8, Knowledge: Nature +10, Knowledge: Spirits +4, Knowledge: Demons +5, Handle Animal +4, Listen +4, Spot +4, Search +4

Special Equipment: Cloak of the Lady, Boots of Elvenkind, Hearthstone (x2), 1 pound of Erethor tea, Masterwork Icewood Composite Longbow, Masterwork Fletcher's tools and Poisoncrafter's kit, Poisonstone (x5), Drop Sheaths (x2), Masterwork Arrows,  Shard Arrows, Hearthstone Arrows, Signal Arrows, Orc's Bane poison, Essence of Silver (a few other poisons I need to look up), Antitoxin (10 doses)

Ice and Rain: Covenant Snow Elf Fighting Knives, made by Danisil master smiths as part of an ancient pact with the Erunsil. While each blade is decorated with symbols and glyphs sacred to both cultures, Ice is engraved primarily with Erunsil markings, and Rain primarily with Danisil markings. They are obviously a pair, despite the differences in their blade's design.
Powers:
1st: When moving through wintery or wet conditions, the bearer of these knives gains the benefits of a Pass Without Trace spell.
4th: The bearer of these blades gains the ability to traverse water and ice unhindered. The bearer is no longer effected by movement restrictions caused by icy terrain or snowy weather. In addition, the bearer gains a limited Water Walking ability. As long as the bearer begins and ends their movement on solid ground, they may move on water as if it were solid.

Followers:
Veraleen: Wolf Animal Companion

Xionne: Snowy Eagle Familiar

Verador remembers the dawning of the last age. It robbed him of an ancient legacy which he had been proudly chosen to bear. He had been the most youth chosen as the Erunsil representative in an ancient pact between the Elves of the north and the elves of the south. He spent many years in the company of the Danisil, learning their ways and training with their masters. he learned of poisons and healing, spirits and demons, ways of channeling which his people were unfamiliar with. Once he had reached adulthood, his job would be to bear the knowledge back to his people. The Danisil youth he traded places with would do the same. He spent 50 years in the jungle. Less than half the expected time.
His training was never completed. It was decided that his training would be abandoned. There was simply no longer time. So he went home. He was ordered by his Blood not to fight. Instead he would catalogue what he had learned and join the fight once his knowledge was preserved.
This took many, many years. As he learned of his people's growing plight, he became more and more angry and his writings more and more frantic. He worked at a fevered pace, and after writing countless scrolls and books he finally cast down his quill and picked up his bow once more.
He  reunited with his older brother, Bayal (from CoS) and spent years putting arrows in Orcs along the northern front. He expected this to be his life, and he had just become resolved to that when things changed dramatically.
Bayal had been chosen to accompany one of the Queen's avatars on a secret mission to meet with a dwarven thane. After much convincing, Bayal agreed to allow Verador to come along.
After Bayal died, Verador was the sole surviving elf in the group. His trust was not won easy, but eventually he learned to trust the odd assortment that had taken up the cause of his Queen.
When he returned with the scroll and learned what he had been carrying and the significance of what he had done, he decided that he needed to aim higher. Not simply to kill his people's enemies, but to try to find a way to defeat the Shadow once and for all. He is completely devoted to his queen and harbors a secret hope that he will eventually be chosen as one of her Avatars.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:47:23 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »

Link me the feat and I'll look them over.

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?topic=764.0

The feats in question are:
Armour Focus (Fighter)
   Choose one type of armour, such as chainmail or half-plate. You are an expert as using that type of armour to protect yourself.
   Prerequisites: Proficient with selected armour, BAB +1.
   Benefit: You may treat the type of armour you are focused on as having an armour bonus one higher (this is not an enhancement bonus, so it stacks with magical armour).
Shield Focus (Fighter)
   Choose one type of shield, such as light wooden or tower. You are an expert as using that type of shield to protect yourself.
   Prerequisites: Proficient with selected shield, BAB +1.
   Benefit: You may treat the type of shield you are focused on as having a shield bonus one higher (this is not an enhancement bonus, so it stacks with magical shields).

Simple enough.
samwise7
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1

Just when you thought it was safe to smile...

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »

Most of my character is done, but I have some finishing touches to complete like equipment.

I have Murwick on an excel D&D character sheet, but I can make a PDF of it, if you can't view excel.

If you want the character sheet, PM me your email Harrowed and I will send it over.

Thanks.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 07:30:35 PM »

Verador the Winter Wolf

Look quite fine ... Doomed hero hit on the perks that being from the original CoS would have given. Access to some of the items that were given out in the adventure. Being in the continuation theme it works. For the PC's that are making characters from CoS take a look at the adventure and see if something perks your interest. For the PC's that were not, I'll still leave a percentage chance that you're character has aquired some magical items or a covenant item.

I'll handle the rolls for that.

Also ... I looked over what Dirigible said about the base DR being half the armor's original value ... I've got with full in the past but I think I'll try the half DR this time.

So keep that in mind on your character sheets, I've seen a couple with AC factored in. Remember that we're using the Defense Bonus rules, which can be found here ... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm and the DR rules ... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm#armorDamageReductionValues

I'll head off the obvious question regard to Defense rules. Channelers count as Column B. Wildlanders as Column B
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.2 [Character Generation]
Jump to: