Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2019, 01:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to keep in touch with all Midnight news, subscribe to our News Forum, then every time a news item is posted you will be notified!
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: DH's Campagn Diary  (Read 14794 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« on: January 03, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »

Here's the link. Go to the Story button. http://midnightgame.pbwiki.com/

We're writing it out in general Screenplay format (mostly for ease and brevity) It's a work in progress (and we're a session behind in our writing) but I'm pretty happy with how the story's coming.

Tell me what you think.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:36:05 AM »

a session behind.. bah! according to this we'd be on what, chapter 20 or so? i hope someone has been playing scribe during sessions, becasue this game is too epic to be appreciated only once.

Loyalty. Vigilance. Precision. A swift death to all who oppose the King. This is my mission. This is my life. Until the Sun rises again, Aiden, I am at your side.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:22:24 AM »

That's a lot to look over, but I'll do it eventually.

I love to read what other people do in their Midnight campaigns...
Gabboge
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:36:33 AM »

Yea and I have sadly cut alot for my comic. Ill deal with alot of it later though through flashbacks.

\"No Mr.Bond..... I expect you to die!\"  -Travis.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »

I've been writing out a few of our other sessions on my comp at home, haven't gotten to posting them yet. Maybe I'll actually get around to that sometime soon, if there's an interest.

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »

very yes? just to put my two bits... or gold, no... uh.. just to put my two bags of tradeable but not inherently valuable supplies in.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

I've toyed with the idea of picking it back up again but it's a pretty colossal undertaking. It was rough before because I ended up being the only one writing it (blatant guilt trip) and now we've got so much ground covered since then.

Tell you what, I'll finish the chapter breakdown, and whoever wants to can just drop scenes they've written into it. We'll work on bridging the gaps between the scenes later.

Just start with your favorite moments.
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 03:03:18 AM »

sounds like a plan. Also, unless someone else is intent on doing this, I was thinking about putting the scribe crown on for current sessions

hmm.. Favorite moments, huh? Don't know if i can think of any...
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 03:45:07 AM »

So far, what little we've written was done by whoever was most involved in the scene, or what interested us. If you'd care to take up the mantle, feel free - although expect some of us to jump in and mess with it occassionally.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »

I'm going to start posting what I remember about our sessions here and slowly translate them into story on the wiki, based solely on the fact that I can access this site while at work. Terrible? Perhaps, but functional. Any other players, feel free to chime in with details I miss or misremember, like all of us I'm prone to remembering my bits more than others.
Also, at our next session, somebody remind me that I said I'd do this so I remember to keep notes - unless you've already been doing that, Altus? I'd love to write down the basics of what happen in combat, at least, and hopefully a good portion of the actual in-game dialogue too. Maybe I'll set up a tape recorder for out of combat time - I wonder if I still have my tape recorder?
Anyway.

Sunday 1/18/2009 - The Howling Doom
Starting point
As we got started, the Greater Bodaks were forcing their way in through the door of the great hall in Pardrum (sp?) Holdfast.

Highlights
-Triple Buddha's Palm from DarrAltus.
-Mending of the alarm horn.
-Stone Shape for the coup de grace.

Round by round
-This is gonna be a little haphazard this time, since there is no way I can singlehandedly remember what happened each round in a 9 hour combat sequence. I'll do my best, though.
Round One
The dwarves leapt to fight back the first one, and we started to advise them on what weapons could hurt it (in order of magnitude, light, gold, healing [positive energy], and obsidian). They had very little of this at hand, but the Thane's plate and silverware were, in fact, goldware. Fenrir begins laying down fire with his obsidian-tipped arrows, the first of which has Light cast on it by Sholano as he slips gold coins into a pouch filled with Hrothgar's obisidian paste/mud. As Fenrir distracts it, Xein pinballs past the Bodak's reach and bolts for Dolla's (sp?) dwelling in hopes of finding the Blood of the Father. The Dwarven Senator(anyone remember his name?) immediately stepped up and planted a cure serious wounds on the thing as several others of the dwarves listened to our suggestions on how to makeshift some weapons out of the goldware - specifically, the dworg Fedwin starts to hack the plate into quarters, which are tied or otherwise forced onto the ends of poles that were holding up tapestry. Aiden hangs back, unsure of what to do, and Altus remains by his side. Berodin snatches up the Thane's golden knife and rolls in to slash the thing, doing good damage. The Bodak tears out Fenrir's lighted arrow and throws it to the ground in front of it.
[Can't remember Hrothgar's action, first round. Miss with thrown urutuk? Darrel too, I got nothin'.]

No longer keeping track of rounds for this one, just trying to keep events more or less in order.
Aiden attempts to consult his book, and Altus guards him. Fenrir begins to ready a coordinated strike, but holds back for the moment. Various dwarves craft makeshift weapons and go for help and supplies. Sholano casts Light on the paste in the bag, and hands the bag over to Hrothgar, who throws it at the Bodak. The moment the bag hits, the soft leather burns away and the contents burst into light inside the creature's body. Berodin snatches up one of the polearms as the first Bodak turns to leave and find easier prey. Xein continues his dead run for Dolla's, taking a hit from one of the Bodaks in the city while running.
Summarizing the rest as best I can
A long and hard battle through the city, destroying relatively few of the creatures, and taking serious injuries but no real casualties. Hrothgar trades Thane's axes with Theodrin, making better use of the enchanted gold-laced weapon ("I hit harder!"). At one point, Darrel (Quickened) and Altus (Guardian) invent what will later be christened the Triple Buddha-Palm technique; Altus Lays on Hands while Darrel casts two Cure Light Wounds with his Burst of Speed.
Aiden's visions give away Dolla's apprentice leaving towards the orcish camp with the Father's Blood in hand, methodically destroying the wards around the Holdfast as she goes. Khaz, back in the tunnel, is warned via Whispering Wind, and intercepts her. Posing as a normal Orc, he gets her to admit to being a traitor, and with Rigger's help and a creative Stone Shape, kills her and sends Rigger on with the recovered Blood of the Father.
Eventually, we manage to repair and sound the alarm, and through Hrothgar's recently gained powers over the undead, we force the rest of the currently risen back into the Hall of Ancestors and seal the exit until we can find a new way to deal with them.
We discover the ritual the legates outside are planning, to create an artificial midnight in the area and dampen all light, simultaneously raising all the slain dwarves as Bodaks and strengthening them as they rise. The decision is made to bring Pardrum with us, now that their home is doomed. We manage to disrupt the ritual once with some interesting combinations at work - modified ballistae for extra range with one of Hrothgar's enchanted urutuks attached to the end (to penetrate a mystic wall), with one of my harvested hydra firesacs lashed on for good measure. This buys us some time before they reinforce their defenses and begin again, in which most of Pardrum makes it to the tunnel (we need a name for the tunnel). They resolve to enact their final plans for the Holdfast's self-destruct sequence (not their words, but...).
Hrothgar and I make a run for Dolla's house, guided by her spirit, to take the useful things from there that she think we'll need. I snatch her alchemical things as well. The light begins to dim again as we go, and on our final leg back to the tunnel, it goes completely. I swing up to Hrothgar's back and we make a mad dash back through the darkness and rising Bodaks, taking wounds but pounding through with a little help from the Father's Blood.
We make it to the tunnel, Pardrum collapsing behind us, and we hide our tracks and seal the shaft with the last of the Stone Shape gauntlet's magic. As we start to descend, two Astiraxes emerge from the stone and attack Aiden. Darrel's first response is to devour one of them, and between Altus, a quick stab from Aiden's mithral dagger, and some quick magic, they're both finished before they can return to report. Aiden immediately collapses (down to 5 con, if memory serves?) and the rest of us turn to dealing with a new problem:
An entire Dwarven Holdfast that may slowly starve in the tunnel intended for their salvation.

Significant Party Gains / Campaign Changes
-The Shadow has probably learned of the Calador escape tunnel's existence.
-All the survivors of Pardrum Holdfast join us in the tunnel.
-Darrel's Taint increases from devouring the Astirax, and he gains sadistic/masochistic tendencies.
-New PC! Fedwin of Pardrum, the Bestial Dworg Defender. Yes, folks, that's ten, count 'em ten, PCs. Are we not epic?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:50:22 PM by Sholano » Logged
Gabboge
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »

Not to mention my growing taint........ Though, I am going to have alot of fun with it, well its bad news for the rest of you.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »

Right, yeah. Added to the Campaign Changes section.
Also, if I'm actually going to be using this thread, the mistype in the title is going to drive me nuts. Can anybody fix that?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:21:42 PM by Sholano » Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »

...man, I don't even know what to do with our last two sessions. I took a lot of notes, but...holy hell.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 04:49:55 PM »

Maybe a flowchart?  Cool
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »

an impressionist era oil painting seems oddly appropriate.

oh, and I made a flowchart for Altus. it's surprisingly complete. character flowcharts should me mandatory, because they win. I cant wait for Aiden's.

* SCAN0005.JPG (391.58 KB, 1696x2224 - viewed 503 times.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:47:28 PM by Altus » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »

"Is it Darrel?"

*DH dies laughing*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:58:38 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 01:57:50 AM »

hehe...

its a realistic possibility, i couldn't omit it from the chart.

we need to put fenrir's up, the dynamic interruption of the shadow's flowchart is excellent. also, we need Darraltus' chart, to show the conflicting motivations and struggle for the body.

seriously, i think flowcharts are a great way to convey the characters to those outside the game.
They need all the help they can get...

also...

if using lay on hands is an attack action, can I take a full round action to coupe de grace an undead creature with positive energy? just something i was wondering about.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:09:54 AM by Altus » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 02:16:08 AM »

if using lay on hands is an attack action, can I take a full round action to coupe de grace an undead creature with positive energy? just something i was wondering about.

Absolutely.

Good luck getting an undead creature helpless.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:38 AM »

Wait...

Darrel. Right.

*sigh*
Doomed Hero

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »

You know I'm going to end up throwing nothing but constructs and elementals at you, right.
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 02:22:37 AM »

Good luck getting an undead creature helpless.

well, i figure hrothgar and berodin can figure something out. or at later levels. just something i was pondering, because i think they are immune to normal coup de graces (just as they are crits) but i was thinking that positive energy might be a reasonable exception.

Wait...

Darrel. Right.

*sigh*

and, as a taste of your own medicine, i hadn't even thought of that. Muhaha

and about the constructs and elementals, yeah, i figured you would make my niche blatantly obsolete. It was something i was prepared to accept several sessions ago. heaven forbid I should be able to face creatures that i am suited to deal with in an even remotely effective manner. oh well, screw it. i will just sit back with sholano and remember how fun the game used to be when I could participate (dis)proportionally in combat. I'm sure i will become useful again eventually.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:29:59 AM by Altus » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 02:25:41 AM »

Touche'
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »

and for the record, that will be a fort save for the undead?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 02:36:25 AM »

Yep.
Altus
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:03 AM »

that's handy. might be able to attempt that more than once a day if the opportunity ever presents itself. especially at lvl 8 (40hp)
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: DH's Campagn Diary
Jump to: